Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peyton,

The fellow called it a ring mill. Two large rings, one top and one bottom, with indention to hold the balls in. A cone shaped yoke in the middle directs the coal into the balls. Both rings rotate. All of this enclosed, so the dust is sucked out to a burner to mix with air and ignite, to run the large boilers at power plants.

He had a more refined explanation, but that is the short version.

aaron c.

by the way, he added that the balls start out as 12 inches in diameter!!

I've occasionally picked up steel balls from the cement plant, after they're worn out of spec in the ball mill. I've never heard of a "ring mill" though and a quick google search didn't tell me a lot. They must be a complete figment of your imagination. :rolleyes:

No matter, if you're looking for a ball or mushroom stake you can get "headache balls" from the cable and wire rope guys. These are the cast iron balls you see just above the hook on cranes. They're intended to keep tension on the cable when there's no load.

They come in many sizes from a few lbs. to hundreds. I have two, I don't recall what the smaller one is but the larger is 9" dia. A little polishing and they make dandy stakes.

Frosty

about 6 years ago i was walking home from the Sunday morning service. and a young boy was following me. he literally followed me home. as it turns out his mother was a widow and fairly poor and wanted to send him to a boarding school but didn't have the money. so she wanted him to come live with me. so now after 6 years Jonah has been my apprentice and like a son to me. i love him to and would give him anything. that's my story.
a boy. no tools, or equipment. when it comes to things like that i have the worst of luck...

Son Daughtry

i don't know guys. jonah is a hard worker but to see some of these pieces of equipment y'all are comnigup wiht is making me alittle jelous...no i'm only playing. good on all of you guys for making the scores. i'm happy with jonah he's pulled his weight is the shop more that once..heck he's pulled it mroe than 400 times. he's a helper that's for sure. and he's a quick learner!! which is good because it's getting to the point where i can tell him i need something and he can go figure out how to make it and then make it with no help fro me at all. he makes all his own tools. (i heat treat though) all he asks me is what material to use. it's very helpful when i've got my hands ful with clients. again good on all of you.

Sonm daughtry

The local garage was throwing away a couple of deep rotors so I ask and they were put into my vehicle for the trip home.

The deep rotor is shown beside the standard rotor I used for a firepot in the 55 Forge. It looks like it has possibilities.

I took the truck to town to get the engine warm so I could change the oil when I returned home. Stopped by the local garage to talk with the owner and he had a engine hoist that would no longer work because the hydraulics leaked. Then there was a tire rack that was large enough to hold 3 rows of tires.

The piece of rail road steel was just in the the fellows way and he was going to throw it in the dumpster, but the truck was closer. He said you want this wire rope? Well it went into the truck to. The wire rope is 50 feet of 3/8 inch cable that had a hook and two Crosby clamps already on one end. For a couple of clamps and a hook I have a good work cable now.

And before you could say enough, a weeks supply of wood (mostly short pieces of lumbar) that was added on top of everything else.

When I got home I found he had put another 5 gallon bucket of lead wheel weights, 4 shock absorbers, a coil spring, 4 single disk break rotors, a good winter tread 15 inch tire, and a couple pieces of steering linkage under the wood.

All this because I stopped in the garage one day and saw him in need of a couple of tools and made them for him from the steel from his dumpster.

Someone from ForgeMagic told me it was made for a Chambersburg helve hammer. The cutaway was for a specific type forging. Guess you could call it specialized tooling:-)
When I bought it, I also got a story with it.
Supposedly it was pulled from the river behind the old Copperweld plant in Glassport Pa. Wonder if the rest of the hammer is still there. I would guess not, that's not a very forgiving river. It ate a B24 bomber in 1946 and no trace has ever turned up. Lots of industry in that area so the anvil story could be true. Also the Glassport Axe Company was right handy there. Could be from there?