• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are fleamarkets and there are fleamarkets. The cheap new chinese imports sure do speed up your walking though!

I live in a small NM town and the local Fleamarket is generally not of much account---takes 15 minutes to do it!

However there is a fellow who cleans out garages and sheds and sells regularly at a good price---he doesn't want to haul it and store it! More important is that when dealers get to know you and find you a solid regular buyer they will often pick up items they think you would like.

I really miss the fleamarket in southern Columbus Ohio that was done in a still working drive in theater---the dealers had to set out and load up *EVERYTHING* every day so the theater could show movies that night. Helped moderate prices for heavy old rusty stuff...

Fleamarket Report Socorro NM: spent more today at the fleamarket than for a long while put together!

Got a nice little brass petcock like some blowers use to drain oil---25 cents, stack of fender washers 25 cents, fairmont spud wrench---unused---I use the conical handle for ring making,truing at the forge and often forge the wrench end down to fit the hardy---got one that's vertical and one that's bent 90 deg for a bic, US$7, a nice condition old heavy ballpeen for $1 and the big buy of the day 10 pounds of Ni rod in a sealed case---10# for $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I didn't even try to talk him down on that deal!

Got some "non-smithing related stuff" too and so exceeded my "vices" allowance for the week!

Last weekend Deb and got a few things, my scores were a Craftsman top box in good condition, a set of 1/4" letter stamps for high C stock a alignment pike/ spud/marlin spike/ whatever it's called and a french fry slicer, paid $25 for the lot. It was a good day.

Frosty the Lucky

Struck gold in the mother lode!!
I went by a local logging company to asked if they have any broken truck axles. No he says, we just toss them after we replace them. :blink:
He gave me a 2" round x 4' "new" axle and a chipper blade (with manufacturers name so I can I D the steel) for $10.00.....

I wonder were he "tosses" them, that be a good find. I remember when places like that just had a big junk pile but now they most likly take it to a landfill somewhere. I bought twenty 10mm/3/8" hex keys for $5 and I working on making repousse tools and stamps out of them. I had to anneal them so I could file, sand and polish them, very hard stuff, now I need to harden and temper them. Anybody got suggestion for that operation? :huh:

I wonder were he "tosses" them, that be a good find. I remember when places like that just had a big junk pile but now they most likly take it to a landfill somewhere. I bought twenty 10mm/3/8" hex keys for $5 and I working on making repousse tools and stamps out of them. I had to anneal them so I could file, sand and polish them, very hard stuff, now I need to harden and temper them. Anybody got suggestion for that operation? :huh:

Try air hardening (normalize) then draw the struck end to dark blue or blue-gray and see if it isn't too hard. Let the tip go to purple or blue. Keys can be crazy hard alloy. (or butter soft)

Phil

When I got the keys they were all so hard the file would just skate across them so I took them to an orange heat and then stuck them in some vermiculite and let them cool. After that they were all easy to file except for two from Germany, those two never did get soft, still hard as glass! So what you're telling me to do now is to bring up to a dark blue color and let them air cool and they'll be, hopefully, hard again. :huh:

Almost 100 railroad spikes followed me home from a pleasant walk along an abandoned railroad today:

railroad2.jpg?t=1310350413

Photo1.jpg?t=1310350412

almost all of them are pictured here; I found a few more in my backpack after I took the photos. Looking forward to practicing many knives with these!

-Gabe

Almost 100 railroad spikes followed me home from a pleasant walk along an abandoned railroad today:

almost all of them are pictured here; I found a few more in my backpack after I took the photos. Looking forward to practicing many knives with these!

-Gabe

That's all well and good but if you get caught on the RR right-of-way they can consider that a terrorist threat. It IS against the law to even be on the R-O-W. For your entertainment there are several thread addressing this very topic.

Now, Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I don't want to tick ya off with my above comment, just warning ya. This is THE best site for anything metal and we are a friendly bunch, really. Glad you are here and if ya ever have a ? all ya gotta do is ask. BTW, where are you from? Update your profile giving at least the town/city/village you are from. Shoot, there maybe a smith just up the street from ya!

I attended an auction with a LOT of blacksmith tools yesterday. I got a sunburn, a couple of anvils, a bunch of tongs and these:

post-4446-0-57944600-1310356257_thumb.jppost-4446-0-26153200-1310356296_thumb.jp

There is only a table missing off one of the drills. Otherwise they are complete and functional. Note the massive Cannedy Otto in the one picture. That one also came with a set of about 20 bits.

Total price for all 5 drills = $5.

That's all well and good but if you get caught on the RR right-of-way they can consider that a terrorist threat. It IS against the law to even be on the R-O-W. For your entertainment there are several thread addressing this very topic.

Now, Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I don't want to tick ya off with my above comment, just warning ya. This is THE best site for anything metal and we are a friendly bunch, really. Glad you are here and if ya ever have a ? all ya gotta do is ask. BTW, where are you from? Update your profile giving at least the town/city/village you are from. Shoot, there maybe a smith just up the street from ya!

As I mentioned in my post, this railroad is abandoned :) Like many of the decomissioned railroads in california, it hasn't seen any trains for several years at least, and is quite overgrown. So unless I'm a terrorist threat to the squirrels and lizards, I think America is safe for now. Thanks for the welcome to the board; I'll update my profile.

-Gabe

Re Normalizing: no; it's NOT heating to blue and letting air cool that would just be a temper heat. it's heating to critical, (glowing, non-magnetic) and letting cool in still air.

If that doesn't work then I would go to a warm oil quench.

To anneal stubborn pieces like the german keys I would generally put them in the gas forge at the end of the day, take them up to temp and then seal the front of the forge with a hot firebrick and let it cool over night. If that didn't work it generally indicates that it's a high alloy steel not suitable for blacksmith methods of working!

As I mentioned in my post, this railroad is abandoned :) Like many of the decomissioned railroads in california, it hasn't seen any trains for several years at least, and is quite overgrown. So unless I'm a terrorist threat to the squirrels and lizards, I think America is safe for now. Thanks for the welcome to the board; I'll update my profile.

-Gabe

Just because the rail road is over grown dose not mean it is still there property. RR spikes are at best junk metal. And if you feel that is a good way to spend your time have at it. Others here are just trying to help. If you get a chance type RR spike into the search and all the artical's will come up. There is a lot of good information here to read. get some good quality metal and spend time hammering. I am not trying to be a downer to your find. Just trying to help point you in a good direction

About hex keys. (allan wrenches) They're not only hard but tough as bought. Heating them to orange heat will cause grain growth and you'll need to do some forging or they'll be really hard no matter how long it takes to cool. Next time heat them to non-magnetic and slow cool them.

Allan key stock makes excellent chasing tools, I have a number and pick up Hex keys at yard/garage sales when ever I see them for cheap. They also make fine chisels, carving knives and bits though I don't know how impact resistant they are after forging and shop heat treatment.

Frosty the Lucky

This followed me home a week or two ago... =\

Jet VBS-900 36" metal cutting bandsaw. Zoe Crist saved me from a brutal crushing death by heavy machinery. Thanks brother! ;)
IMG_20110627_162658.jpg

Needs new tires, but otherwise, it's a beast, and I got it for a steal. It's amazing how inexpensive a really big piece of equipment can be, compared to a small piece.