I Forge Iron

No Spring Chicken Here!

TLeeBlanq

A common property to go to tax sale is a severed mineral interest in a depleted oil or gas field. e.g. 1/16th interest in the minerals under a particular 40 acres.  In CO severed minerl interests aren't taxed until there is mineral production and once they are played out the value drops to zero.  Once the taxes are delinquent, no one bids, it is struck off to the county, the county abandons the debt after so many years the severed mineral interest reverts to the surface owner.  Different states may have a different process.

Also, some properties are either so small to be unusable (although you might put up a flagpole), as mentioned, may be contaminated, or have access problems.  Occasionally there is a nugget in the dross but like placer mining, they are few and far between.

As TW says, some are contaminated from use as meth labs.  Even if you do a scrape off the demolition debis may be considered a hazarous waste and have to be disposed of in an expensive haz mat land fill.

GNM

On 10/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. There are a lot of us over 80, still swinging a hammer at hot steel. I've learned to work smarter and pace myself, stay hydrated, take short breaks when fatigue starts to set in and above all stay safe.

Thank You Irondragon for your reply. I do expect, that to a large degree that I have gotten behind the power curve concerning breaks and fatigue, and am always looking for a place to sit down. In the short time on the scene, in review of some of the posts, am surprised at extent of interest, and far reaches of the globe represented. Therefore, probably best that my comments not include any idioms which tend to be locally recognized. As I have already received one ding, sorry, one black mark on my record which is never to be removed, refrain from any rendering that could be inappropriate, misinterpreted, circumlocutious or ambiguous as a goodly number of the members may not be native english speakers.

Am pleasantly surprised to see pictures of creations  by those with remarkable artistic vision posted.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:24 PM, Frosty said:

I haven't swung heavier than 32oz in years. except in special circumstances. Though I do have a 40oz. AKA 2 1/2lb.   I have a 8lb double jack sledge handy for stubborn stock when I have a striker. 

Forging copper wire with a 4oz ball pein is satisfying to the soul. Honest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do have an 8lb (somewhere) but avoid at all cost (lol) and use the 6lb only rarely. And yes, one is serious when the 8# is brought out. Would like to play with a power hammer as suspect it to be much fun to move metal.

Do have a jig laid out on the bench for use in constructing Gray Hoverman OTA (long range) TV antennas in which aluminum or copper wire is shaped to finite lengths depending upon desired freqs. Am "going to" (see unfinished projects) finish building an 8 bay for over the air reception. Am down in a swale here at the country place with 100+' trees blocking incoming from nearest transmitter > 50 miles away, and the single bay gets a tad wonky at times during bad weather picking up only 1 network. At the main place north of Austin, put a single bay in the attic (highly restrictive HOA) and get 25+ channels and on occasion over 30 total. Of course it mostly networks, some independents and PBS. Apparently house at good location and height (but does not seem so) as reception exceptional 360 degrees without rotation. I do run an inline amplifier tho.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, George N. M. said:

A common property to go to tax sale is a severed mineral interest in a depleted oil or gas field. e.g. 1/16th interest in the minerals under a particular 40 acres.  In CO severed mineral interests aren't taxed until there is mineral production and once they are played out the value drops to zero. 

I have small interests (division order %) in couple older wells in the panhandle of Okla that are still producing after 50 years as well as interests up on the North Slope (up Frosty's way) off the Dalton. Am in process of disposing just under 400ac in Kansas and will be retaining mineral interests on another 1/4 section that has been in the family for several generations-just in case. Do know that whole area was investigated in the 60's as was a small part of seismic search that took place. Drilling, shooting and recording during the day, and runnin' the bars of Dodge City at night.  

Re hazardous waste: am reminded of the TV series "Breaking Bad" which I think is greatly underrated as to content and reflection of the current mindset of a significant portion of the populace.

Recall reading that in the State of Wyoming has area to bury/dispose of expired wind generator blades (until someone figures out a use for them.)

Part of the learning curve is learning when you're beginning to tire and taking breaks before you get tired enough to cause injuries. Working tired also makes everythiing more difficult, especially hammer control and leads to frustration. 

Wow, the only antenna I ever made was stringing bailing wire about 75' from the top of a cabin to a tree for the Trans Oceanic so we could listen to something other than each other and the generator. It worked out well though, we listened to a Russian, "Radio Free America" program regularly but the best was getting to listen to the American Hokey team beat the Russians for Olympic gold, LIVE. You should've heard "Radio Free America" making excuses for that one! Their team was malnourished because America was blockading vital food shipments to Russia and everybody gets the same amount of food. Just like it says in the book! The EVIL Americans cheated! 

l, that's the limit of my antenna making and world radio listening. No hammering done, we even hung the antenna insulator off a limb with wire.

Brings back good memories though. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No TV though we can see the local antennas on top the mountain  when standing on our front porch.

Pity the Russians were not food self sufficient.  I wish we were!  (Though at the moment we are overly supplied with fresh tomatoes; maybe next year we will plant only 2 bushes...)

That isn't how you watch TV Thomas. :rolleyes: 

There's a trick for keeping a desert green house watered by trapping and recycling the moisture transpired by the plants. You basically make the green house into a still. I saw that too many years ago to remember details but it seamed like a good idea and is the same basic trick for "making" water in a desert survival situation.

Frosty The Lucky.

I hear shopping trips to salvage yards calling! Maybe a brewery closed down and was abandoned close by? Bet the garden would smell . . . interesting until it got flushed enough. 

I suppose digging a large hole, lining it with rubber or sealing it with bentonite wouldn't suit. You could stock it with fish and dip your skinny you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol:lol:

well there’s big storage tanks all over here if ya ever change your mind! 

I was looking at some big ones the other day at the scrap yard but I also see em at auctions all the time, 

I was thinking about cutting a door an some windows in one and making an all steel chicken coop outta one, 

my ol coops getting in ruff shape and I’m thinking about starting over with something different,

Nice place but you'd better be generous with Halloween treats or kids will knock with hammers and pipes!

Thomas, speaking of trailers keep your eyes open for an old milk tanker for salvage and have it dropped where you want your reservoir. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh come ON Thomas, they didn't drop the tank during the Trinity test. Sure, pieces fell but they didn't "Drop" it.

Just think how nice it would be to have a 10,000 gal stainless steel water tank on site? You could carbonate the 600 gal tank and have a selection of flavors in the kitchen. I was surprised then enjoyed the naturally carbonated well water in Northern Cal, a shower leaves your skin tingling clean. The first time I took a drink at a public fountain had me blinking, the glass of water at the cafe that evening and shower was a wonder. That was in Dumas IIRC Cal. 

I've always wanted to make biscuits with carbonated water to see if they come out lighter. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 9:03 PM, arkie said:

Billy, you were speaking of (oil field ?) storage tanks.

Here is an oil field retirement home.....

That’s awesome arkie!!!

I wasn’t talkin bout oil field tanks but that would make one heck of a chicken coop!

you could run a couple hundred layin hens outta that thing with no problem!

and the great thing about steel tanks is ya ain’t gotta worry bout possums an bobcats Breaking in an chowin down on your birds!