I Forge Iron

New here with a question

SineTimore

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I have forged in the past. I had a brake drum coal forge and previously have forged some wrought iron decorations , simple railroad spike and 1095 billet knives and I was learning to drift axe eyes. Long story and not to jerk any heartstrings too much our daughter passed away and it's been 10 years since I've touched a forge. I want to pick it up again but with a gas forge. I'm not sure what route to go with a gas forge though. I see a lot of 1, 2, and 3 burner models within my price range. I primarily want to make knives and tomahawks. I really want to make a Bowie knife. I'm not sure if a single burner is enough for that though. I've been considering the deluxe 2 burner from majestic but there are single burner models out there for about half the price. It's probably going to be a long long time before I move past knives and tomahawks so I don't want to go overkill right out of the gate. I already have an 88 pound anvil from when I forged before. What is your advice?

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum,

im sorry to hear about your loss,

im a coal guy myself but there’s a ton of gas rigs on here,

I’ve heard a lot of talk sayin single burner forges will actually do most stuff you want,

an for just starting out again I’ve heard some of our gas guys say the mr volcano is a good starting place, 

im sure the experts will be along shortly that can help ya out!

You may want to check out the Mr volcano forges. There cost is pretty low and have received multiple good reviews. 

For what you’re wanting to forge, I’d stick with a smaller forge. You can only work so much steel in a single heat by hand anyway. 

Keep it fun,

David

Looks like TW and I were posting at the same time… and same advice. What’s the chances?

I have seen the Mr. Volcano forges. I just thought with the price it had to be a gimmick. I'm glad to hear they have good reviews. I'll look them up again and see if I can find some videos on them. Thanks for your replies.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quotes.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I can't help you about gas forges any more than has already been mentioned by David and Billy other than to say that there is a tendency to erroneously think bigger is better.  You can on ly forge 4-6" of metal per heat and if you are heating more you are wasting fuel and probably deteriorating the metal.

If you put your general location in your profile we can give better answers to your questions. A surprising number of answers are geography dependent.  Right now we don't know if you are in Lapland or Tasmania.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  I don't know how recent it was but I have found blacksmithing to be good therapy when dealing with loss or tough times.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS Be sparing in using the quote function.  It is not needed in many cases and uses up band width which is a problem for some members of IFI who have limited internet access and have to pay by the bit for their data.  I rarely use the quote function.  If I want to address something to someone directly I will just say, "Billy" or "Frosty" or "John" or "Thomas" but usually it is obvious from context.

GNM

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Mr. Volcano forge is as good bang for the buck as is out there. The chamber is plenty large enough to make axes, bowies, etc. without needing to pass it back and forth through the fire to heat the length. We've discussed a couple of the tweaks to get max performance out of them without breaking the bank in another thread. 

If  you get by Scott's place he's looking for a little flint or chert to take a crack at knapping. He might swap a jar of his HOT salsa for a little. ;) Just a thought, I have them all the time. The thoughts are everywhere, everywhere I tell you! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Ask your self how much steel can you forge before you run out of heat. If your doing large scrolls or such that is probably 6 inches or so. One burner forge dose 90% of what you need if your hand forging.  It will even handle heat treat up to 10-12” of blade length tho 6-8” is a more practical length. 
multiple forges are almost a must for efficiency with gassers.
or a good solid fuel forge and a small gasser… 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Stick around and we will have you building a solid fuel coal/charcoal forge in no time. A JABOD is easy and cheap to build.

I have been into muzzleloading for most of my life, longer than blacksmithing (38 years now). I have restored many original flintlocks and percussion guns over the years. Flintlocks are my favorite guns along with Jaeger rifles. We have a section on old guns.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/214-gunsmithing-muskets-flintlocks-etc/

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add thought

You're welcome Scott, nothing's too good for a friend. :D 

Scott's not looking for gun flints, he's looking for nodules or tabular flint or chert. 

Many years ago a friend and I got into making propellants though more rocket related. It was fun but kind of scary at times, especially when clueless individuals decided to take a lash at it. :o The last is the main reason we stopped, it's not something to encourage some folks to try.

Heck, I know too many people I wouldn't want to try chipping stone or do anything more dangerous than pull weeds. By HAND.

Frosty The Lucky.