I Forge Iron

Running low on Data again, recharge on Friday

ThomasPowers

Thomas 

Do they Ofer fiber optic in your area? 

they started installing it in our area a couple years ago an we finally got it installed and the house last year, it’s super fast Wi-Fi, I thinks it’s 5g an it’s cheaper then the cell phone bill

i use my phone for internet out at the shop so I gotta watch the phone data or I go over sometimes

No fiber.  We can see the antenna on the mountain top from our front door---direct line of sight; but they insisted they had to mount the  house one through our new metal roof instead of the several places where they could hook it into the wooden frame.  Wife said NO!!!!!!!!!

Have you looked into Starlink? It's not cheap to get the equipment but $100 a month is not terrible, I know some of the "Satellite" and similar charge stupid high prices for low speed and data in remote areas. 

Our previous shop was in a small industrial area but for some reason the one block our unit was on had no hard lines or optical run to it, so we were stuck paying something like $160 a month for 15mb download speeds, fortunately we weren't limited on data but it was still miserable at times. 

34 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

of the several places where they could hook it into the wooden frame

That’s odd, they just hung a box on the side of my house and drilled a hole the the wall and ran conduit through, it’s hardly noticeable, 

I wouldn’t be keen on em drilling through my metal roof either

Wow! Color me jealous, even my home internet is something around $50 a month and that's kinda their minimum "enough to watch YouTube or stream a movie with the wife after dinner" nothing crazy. 

I think it could be less if we bundled phone and TV and all that nonsense they try to get you with, but we don't have any of that so kinda defeats the purpose. 

Granted this is in California so everything is more expensive out here. Perhaps the cost to income ratio for us regular folk isn't really all that different if we looked at the bigger picture. 

Wow $15 bucks a month? 

My cheapest monthly bill is for rural trash service an even it’s $20 

our fiber optic costs here in Oklahoma are $59 a month for unlimited  internet,

tv an phone service is more, but we have cell phones and we use the Wi-Fi to steam stuff on the tube so it don’t make sense to pay for tv also,

In Gatchina near St. Petersburg, in an apartment, the cost of the Internet via optical fiber is less than $20. Unlimited. The phone also has an unlimited plan for $13. In the city it works without delay, in the countryside it is slower. 

I also haul the garbage to the land fill ($12 tip fee) about every 2.5-3 weeks.  Cheaper than the commercial service and I don't have to wrestle a wheeled can out to the road every Friday which is particular fun through the snow in the winter.  Although the landfill is officially "No scavanging" if you are discreet you can pick up some interesting things.  I have scored a Delta 8" grinder and several propane bottles (out of current pressure certification) and some other interesting things.  I am always afraid to look in the metals dumpster for fear that someone will have thrown away a bunch of anvils and I'll either kill myself trying to get them out or go to jail for trying to bribe the landfill workers to let me/help me salvage them.

Also, it is a field trip out of the house during covid isolation.  Madelynn is VERY covid cautious and we are still pretty socially isolated.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

My Rural trash service isn’t bad they haul the trash weekly from both the repair shop an the house for $20 a month, so I just pay them a year in advance,

if It was just me an ash I’d probably haul it myself but now if waited 3 weeks to haul trash id have to buy a dump truck lol

Having a toddler and a repair shop significantly increases the trash flow around here!:blink:

I haul our trash to the local transfer station weekly for $3-$7 depending on how much I have aboard. I only haul cans if I have to, I'm getting so I don't like climbing in and out of the pickup anymore. There's almost never anything to pick, it all gets "transferred  to the landfill when the boxes get filled. You see stuff at the landfill but it's a longer drive and I have enough stuff now.

I don't even know what it'd cost for trash pickup here, it's available but I'd have to drag the can 700' to the road and back.

Frosty The Lucky.