I Forge Iron

Fair deal or to much?

A friend of mine is looking to sell some post vices,pipe vices and a coal forge.the forge he bought new in the late 70s..it's a Canadian forge and blower Buffalo forge hand crank blower.said he only had one fire in it and never used it again. He took the blower off when he put it in the storage container, but all the parts are there. Blower turns good and free. Vices like the forge a rusty but screws are good and look lightly used. Also there's a post vice that someone cut the post off. Vices are 5 and 6 inches.  Everything rusty but would clean up nice I think.he wants $150 each for the 2 post vises.  $500 for the forge. And$100 for the other 3 vices.  Iam trying to help him sell them but told him he's  to high priced on the forge.just wondering what you think? 

20220712_193014.jpg

20220712_142353.jpg

20220712_141728.jpg

20220712_142028.jpg

20220712_142041.jpg

the post vises seem a little high at $150 to me but I’m not familiar with the goin rates in yalls territory, 

Of coarse a new one from Vaughns hope works or kanca is around $600-$700 I think last time I looked,

I have one of those pressed steel Buffalo forges that’s the deeper pan model, an mine has the big square Vulcan firepot, i don’t use it much but they are pretty decent forges in my opinion

$500 might be a little high but then agin you were to look at new forges and fire pots that’s still not a bad price,

the pipe vises would be way to high in area you can pick those things up for next to nothing,

I don't think he's too far out of line with his prices, compared with what I see for sale here in Eastern PA, and even what I have sold similar. Those prices will weed out the flippers, and be of more interest to newer end users. I don't know your market up there, though. I tend to price at the higher end of the market, and drop down as needed towards what I consider my bottom line. 

Steve

He s asking $100,  for all 3 of the other vices not each, rule number 1 in the tailgating  section is you must own the product.  I don't  own this stuff a friend of mine does.i actually  went to look at an anvil but he sold it before I could get there.i am just trying to get a line  on prices for him as he doesn't have internet and people are telling him  he's way overpriced. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am  quite surprised, I have posted this stuff on Facebook marketplace, kijiji,Craigslist, and a couple other sale sites. Over 315 people  read the adds ,had one phone call and the guy never showed up. I quess blacksmith tools  are hard to sell  nowadays. 

Maybe depends on location. The post vise in the first pic for $150. might be a little high. What is the jaw width and any better pictures of the screw?

The other post vise without the leg looks ok. Maybe split it up from the other two for a lesser price. It could be fixed and used by someone. 

The forge looks good if the blower works well. Again, might need to relist at a little less. 

I've been seeing the boom from forged in fire drop a bit. Interest is still there but I feel like the clamor to buy the tooling has dropped a bit.

On the forge, I will say that when I was trying to get started I was looking for one of those.  (That is all I knew is that That was a forge.)

With them being $400-500. And out of my price range, I looked at alternatives and realized I could make one for about nothing. 

I still would like to own one but haven't found a good enough deal to justify it with my home made forge working fine for me. 

Information on how to has crippled the market on "The tools" a wee bit. 

If you are patient they will sell. If he could use the cash or needs them gone then he might need to lower the prices a bit. 

I think the prices are fair. It all depends on what he wants with them. 

When I was selling my 248# Peter Wright last year for US$4 a pound; a lot of folks would call and ask if that was a firm price. I'd tell them "No; I'd be happy to go to US$5 a pound on it!"  (more the going rate around here)  Had no problem passing it on at my price; after all who needs an intermediate sized anvil in the shop when they have the Larger and smaller ones already.

I bought the vice in the first picture off him for $120, he's asking $500 for everything else the forge has only been  used once  he bought it new. Other post vice is 6" and good  shape  just needs cleaning.  The vice with the  post missing  and the Murray pipe vice that has the little anvil attached.  And a few other things he'd throw in. Just can't seem to get  anyone to even look at it 

20220719_142928.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just want to update this thread, Freddy did ok on this stuff finally. He got $500for the forge and pipe  vice with the little anvil attached. He got$200 for the 6"post vice, and I gave him $120 forthe 5"post vice. So $820 inall,he's still got some stuff  left. Only 2 people other than me  even showed up  to look at the stuff, out of  over 30 calls. And they bought it.