I Forge Iron

New member introduction

Emyrnes

Hey gang,

I figured I might as well introduce myself here since I've been learning so much from this site, and it seems like a really great community!

I got started on this path a little over a year ago when the stars aligned and I wound up with a pile of scrap metal, and an old straight peen hammer and anvil vice inherited from my grandfather.  I needed a chisel for a woodworking project I had going on and figured I'd just make it myself. Needless to say when I hit that metal I got the bug and have been devoting as much time to the craft as I can, either at the forge or watching videos/reading. So far I've made some tools for myself like tongs, chisels and jigs etc, and household items like candle holders and bbq sets as gifts. and the obligatory railroad spike knife. I've made 2 forges beyond the Jabod and charcoal thing I started on, and feel like I will be constantly making more as I find out what can be upgraded or improved upon. 

If anybody on here is in the York, Pennsylvania area, I'd love to know if there are any good spots for sourcing materials, or just talk about the craft in general.

thanks for the greetings and replies!

On 5/24/2022 at 6:17 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

If you scroll to the bottom of the forum page you will see three PA clubs listed.

I will definitely need to get out and check out my local groups! I can watch videos and read about this stuff all day long, but I know that I'm the type of person who can only learn certain things by trial and error or hands on instruction.

On 5/24/2022 at 7:41 PM, ArmySoldier72 said:

Very Interesting, I have family not far from you in Lionville, downingtown and coatsville PA.

I've been meaning to make it out to the National Iron and Steel museum in Coatsville, it seems like a good place to get some inspiration! we get most of our groceries from the Amish farmers markets, and of course plenty of shoofly and whoopie pies 

Edited by Mod30
Trim quotes.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Ease up on the quote function, just use the person's name if you're addressing them specifically. Take a look, not one person who replied to you quoted anything you said and some were talking about specific things. Hmmm? 

Don't sweat it, it's just part of how we do things here it takes a little time. 

All that said you're off and running. How about some pictures of your set up, tools, projects, etc. anything you'd show a young child, it's a G rated site. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Give some though to attending Quad-State this fall, it's in western OH and is the largest annual blacksmithing conference in the USA.  Tailgating is unbelievable as anyone who pays the entry fee for the conference can sell stuff at no extra charge!  I plan to drive 1500 miles to get there (and another back).

Thanks for the heads up Frosty, I'll lay off the quotes! I have to take some more pictures tonight to upload here, I've done a bad job of documenting my progress, which is ironic since my background is in photography and video production. Eventually down the line when I'm not busy as all-get-out I'd like to produce some kind of blacksmithing related documentary. If anybody has any good recommendations for blacksmithing movies that already exist, I'd love to check them out! 

ThomasPowers, I'll definitely look into the quad-state, it sounds like a blast from what I've read about it on here!

Check out JLPservices, she produces some excellent how to videos. The way she frames the work allows overhead and side views. I couldn't think of how to say split frame and have it make sense in that last sentence. 

You know Thomas, even a retired race horse likes to run. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Why didn't you have her contact me about my email program question? Don't you love me anymore?:huh:

Seriously though I think there a bunch of computer problems that should be fixed by a blacksmith.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've drawn on my knowledge of blacksmithing to do lots of things, many not at all metal related.  My level of electronics is getting the cables plugged in where they belong on my computer. 

What kind and how Army? 

Frosty The Lucky.

army a while back we had a discussion (somewhere) on making a tankapult  to throw larger equipment like many ideas here it was realized as unreasonable and left at the drawing board

edit:

but lets leave that can of worms closed again if you want to see it its in the thread Anvil Cannon

Edited by M.J.Lampert

I would be willing to bet everything I own on this planet that if tank flingers made $, Elon Musk would build a factory.  Might be handy for the losing side....  Take that!

Edit:  please disregard my comment as mj wants the can of worms closed.

Edited by Nodebt
Agreement

It's not that easy MJ, once you've exposed the can of worm squirm It'll close on it's own. . . Or not.

If we lure the tanks to the top of a tall hill the giant slip N slide down the much steeper other side and over a ramp will get them flying.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, i guess a story for another thread, but my best was a laptop out of a second story window about 30' from the building.   In 1994 they were bricks, not these nice aerodynamic machines we see today.  The LTC was not happy with me when they came back into their office.

MJ, I am searching for it now.  8-)

ARMY