I Forge Iron

Hammer Repair

I have browsed through the last few pages of posts looking for info on hammer repair and came across the Hofi Repair thread but since he had someone else repair the chip I don't know that it helps me much.

Anyway, I acquired a fairly decent, though unmarked, cross-peen hammer recently with some other tools. However there is a chip out of the corner of the peen side, probably 1/4" x 3/8" or so. It sounds like it's not "bad" to weld in new material and then re-finish the face and peen, but what method is best? I have access to MIG and TIG to fill the chip, I only have SS filler rod for the TIG but could probably get something else from the machine shop down the street.

If you weld on it you will need to preheat and do a heat treat on the entire head afterwards.  You, of course, will want the rod/wire/filler to match the carbon content of the hammer head.  What method you choose, stick, MIG, TIG, Forge Welding, depends on how good you are.  In general I just redress a hammer head and not try to weld on one---they are easy enough to find another one in my experience.

Ditto needing a pic for a solid suggestion. However most commercial cross pein hammer peins are too sharp, grinding them to a larger radius say almost hot dog size improves them as forging hammers. With that in mind and not knowing how bad the chip is I'd grind it past the chip and radius the ends slightly to prevent divots in my work.

Cross pein hammers are too common at yard, garage, etc. sales for a buck or two to take the risk of welding on one. If you get it wrong it could cause chipping in a big dangerous way. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I was breaking down a tire when it chipped

after it happened I felt pain an started seeing blood, at first I thought it just nicked me, but I noticed a bump by the cut an when I felt it, it felt hard so I put two an two together and grabbed a magnet off the bench that I use to grab parts with, 

the hard bump was magnetic lol,

so I went to the doctor an at first she thought it was just a cut until I handed her the magnet to let her see my skin pulling, 

she X-rayed my arm 

she didn’t feel comfortable cutting it out herself

so she sent me to surgery and they deadend my arm an cut it out

Here is a photo, the pein is currently around the size of a standard pencil. Sounds like best option is indeed grinding the pein to a larger radius. Face will get dressed as well. 

All the struck tools in the batch badly need the struck ends cleaned up, they are beyond "mushroomed" and actually can see where chips have come off. Reminds me of the video in welding class of the guy with half a cut-off disc in his face... Glad yours didn't end with anything permanent other than a scar and a story.

image.thumb.jpeg.421239d02492adaf051f19a6636d8291.jpeg