I Forge Iron

Mike from New Hampshire

NH Hunter

Hello,

Longtime listener, first time caller...

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Mike and I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire although I'm technically a snowbird now, as I spend 5 months a year in Florida living in our RV.  My day job is as a compliance officer for a financial services firm .  I work from home, so I have flexibility.  We're heading back to NH shortly and I'm really excited as I've spent the winter researching and preparing my lists of needs/wants to get started.  I have a healthy home ownership garage, including metal and woodworking stuff, but have never blacksmithed.    

I my lists ready to go, and will be hitting the order button early next week for my arrival home.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I look forward to the continued learning and interactions.

Mike.

Good Morning Mike,

Welcome to our world, regardless where you park your house. LOL

I wouldn't start ordering a bunch of things for Blacksmithing, until you talk to the Blacksmith Group near your home. Quite often you can get serviceable good Tools and Equipment from someone who is moving on or moving up. Start by reading 'the Blacksmithing Primer', It is written in plain English, very understandable. A lot of your Tools, you can make out of junk you pick up off the ground (as long as you keep your eyes open). Sometimes just letting the word out and be patient with your ears open, magic things appear from the unexpected. There are some very strong Blacksmith players in both Florida and NH.

Neil

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you. Ditto not ordering a bunch of blacksmithing stuff, you don't know what you need or want yet. Locate a group close, go to a couple meetings, maybe join. Use the TPAAAT it really works and amazingly well for anything even glue to fix a broken heart.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  Just to be clear, my list isn't huge just a few things to get up and running.  I'm a reader/researcher so I've read all the stickies, starter threads, etc. - not wasting money, just a few things I need.   With regard to the TPAAAT - I've been doing that now for a couple years for anvil, etc. - but the area I live in has been picked over pretty well.  It doesn't help that I'm not much of social person, but some of my friends are very social and have been helping as well.

Again, thanks for the welcome, I've been enjoying the group for quite some time and look forward to contributing and asking questions as I go.

You don't have to socialize, just be pleasant and ask. It helps to have some personal cards to hand out with a note bout what you're looking for. 

The country isn't that good a place to hunt smithing tools, towns and cities had more blacksmiths, even here in notoriously smithing tool poor Alaska long time mechanic shops often have an anvil in the back room. There is one close by shop that transitioned into a fab shop and small scale specialty steel supply. There is a beautiful Fisher anvil I guesstimate at around 250lbs. a 25lb. Little Giant power hammer, shop coal forge and tooling taking up space in a back room. The shop owner, while very generous to local blacksmiths, said we can probably buy the blacksmith equipment at his estate sale he has too much emotional investment to let it go. 

A couple of the more energetic younger members of our club have found some nice stashes of smithing equipment by putting the word out and they've all been where you wouldn't expect it. A widow's garage held anvil, leg vise and hand tools taking up a corner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

JHCC I'm about 40 miles South of Franconia just outside of Plymouth.  I've also looked at the website the blacksmith group that has workshops.  I'll kick them an email when I get home as their calendar on the website didn't show anything.  It's just what I need though.  Thanks.