I Forge Iron

Tips / ideas for peeve

i hope i spelled that right! a peeve (pee-V) is a tool of steel and wood that we canadians use for moving felled trees by hand. it has three basic parts: the long wood handle, the iron spike end cap, and the hinged arm which grabs the wood.
i have a few ideas already but need help with bending the arm, forge welding the spike to the arm, and making the end cap's hollow for the handle. any help would be appreciated, i wood (haha) like to have it made for the fall firewood cutting.

cal-k

If you have to ask; it's probably a better idea to arc weld the parts together. I might suggest forging the spike and the arm from an old crow bar or coil spring and normalize them to make them a bit tougher than mild steel. I'd go with pipe for the socket and if you want it tapered forge the pipe to the taper. I'd also go with wrapping the strap making the eye to attach the hook to all the way around the socket and arc weld it top and bottom to provide more re-inforcement to the socket.

ISTR that Charles McRavens "Country Blacksmithing" included information on forging a peavy. I'll check tonight.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Dimensioned drawing? Wouldn't you want to make one that was best sized for *you* rather than some random one that probably is *not* sized for you? This idea that there is one magic size is an artifact of the modern factory system and hopefully in the future the highly automated and computerized factories will once again start making things to fit the exact person using them!