I Forge Iron

swage block holes and shapes

George N. M.

OK, I'm going to raise a question that I have had for years.  Larger swage blocks usually have a number of holes through them in various shapes and sizes, square, round, rectangular, etc..  My swage block doesn't have them and I have seldom though I needed holes.  So, I am wondering how they were used, if at all.  I can hypothesize several possible functions.  1) to use when punching various sized and shaped holes.  I don't know how practical that would be for the larger sizes.  2) Hardy tool holders at least for the common hardy sizes but why would you use a swage block rather than your anvil for that purpose?  3) A monkey tool to put shoulders on various sized and shaped tenons. 4) Just cool looking lightening holes to reduce the overall weight of the swage block.

Does anyone know for sure or have any speculations or have actually used the various shaped holes for a purpose.

And while I am at it, I have seen a number of large swage blocks with indentations on the edge that are flat bottomed and have slanted sides.  The only use I can think of is for giving a hexangonal shape.  Is there any other use of which I am unaware?

Thanks.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I think 1-3 are all correct. I doubt #4 would be the case (I mean, who ever deliberately makes an anvil lighter?), especially since the higher number of holes would make casting more complicated and increase the risk of failure.

As for the half-hexagon swages, I don't think that hex bar was as commonly available as it might be now, and anyone who wanted a hexagonal cross-section would have to forge their own. They would also be useful for making hex-head bolts, which started to become common in the 1830s (although earlier examples do exist).

Regarding hardies and other anvil tools, sometimes it may have been convenient to have one tool in the anvil and another in the swage block, so that the smith could switch between operations in a single heat without having to switch tools. Those seconds add up in production forging.

One of my swages has a square hole just about the same size as my hardy. I will use it to upset a hardy tool rather than my anvil. 

My best guess would be they are used as any other tool we have is used for, what ever you need it for at that time.