I Forge Iron

What country do you think made the best anvils?

On 3/10/2022 at 4:01 PM, Malleus said:

For instance, cast iron welding requires a rod with a high nickel content, such as a 7018.

Cast iron does need a high nickel electrode for welding, but a 7018 electrode is NOT a nickel electrode.  You might be thinking of the Stoodys, etc.  The 7018 contains C, Mn, S, P and S plus the steel in the rod proper but no nickel (per Lincoln Electric stats).

That isn't hard John. Use the old jeweler's trick of dissolving borax to saturation in water.  Warm the anvil a little say 100-150f and either brush it on liberally or dip it. The solution will be drawn in everywhere via capillarity as the anvil cools.

When heating it to weld the water will evaporate leaving a coating of borax flux. I've never done this myself but friends who do it regularly say it doesn't foam like dry borax as it melts.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, arkie said:

Cast iron does need a high nickel electrode for welding, but a 7018 electrode is NOT a nickel electrode.  You might be thinking of the Stoodys, etc.  The 7018 contains C, Mn, S, P and S plus the steel in the rod proper but no nickel (per Lincoln Electric stats).

Yep...  thanks for the correction.  I haven't stick welded in several years, but I shouldn't have forgotten something like that.