I Forge Iron

Anybody here ever tried Nicks Tanker boots?

rockstar.esq

I've been looking into higher end boots that can be re-built and re-soled.  Nicks makes a version of their builder boot in something called a "Tanker"  which uses belts/straps instead of laces.  I love the look of them, but I've never worn anything like that before.  Thanks in advance.

I've never even seen boots like those. It's been a long time since I needed serious work boots and then I had White's, "Logger Smoke Jumpers" made for me. IIRC in the neighborhood of $350 in late 70s dollars and worth every penny. Had them rebuilt one time but had a second pair made first so I wouldn't have to wear off the shelf boots. I have really wide short feet and it's nearly impossible to find shoes off the shelf that fit right. Spending 6/10s on your feet and standing on a vibrating drill stand really needs boots that fit. 

I much prefer hooks to eyes on lace up boots. If I thought I was going to need high end boots I might take a look at Nicks and see how the belts feel. I wonder if they're offered in contrasting colors.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been wearing Lehigh boots for years. Six inch safety boots. They're only about $125USD and they last a few years at least. I think I'm on year four on the pair I have and they still have some miles in them. I learned a long time ago to keep the stink down especially if you have expanded foam insoles is to take the insoles out when you take your boots off. If you leave the insoles in the boots the footbed beneath the insole never dries out. 

Pnut

I never tried Tanker boots.  I found Redwing to be very comfortable.  I worked a lot outside during the winter and so bought insulated, ankle boots.  I kept on wearing them as it warmed up into summer but the never made my feet sweat.  I wore them year round after that.  I hear now their made in china or somewhere and their quality reflects it.  The style I used to wear ran about $280 a pair.

I used to wear Red Wing lineman's boots all day and it took years to need resole and heels. They offered protection to the calf area and are waterproof. I imagine all boots, except customs like the Red Wing Heritage are being made out of country now. The Red Wing Heritage boot is still made in Minnesota.

Whitesboots Dot Com. Made in Spokane Wa. Hand made since 1853. I don't know if they've been at that location since 1853, don't let me confuse you.:)

I had to go look, I know mine were made in America but things change. I'm pleased to see they're still made in Spokane, seeing it on their site reminded me where mine came from. 

I have a pair of Redwing slip ons I use whenever I don't want stuff in my shoes, either slopping over the tops, burning through the sides of poking in the sole. Anything but my feet and socks that is. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for all the replies.  I've worn a few pairs of Red Wings over the years.  I went over to Chippewa loggers which were more comfortable in the short term.  However I find I have to replace the foam insoles every four months or so.

There's a store near me that sells Whites, they're in the $600 range now.  Nicks is right around the same amount, for custom made (in America) to order.  It's my understanding that Whites and Nicks both use a hard leather stack for the sole/footbed.  It eventually molds to your foot to where the support is perfect and there's no cushioning foam to wear out.  The Whites boots at my local store all have 100% American made labels on them.  Nicks offers a "rough out" leather option that really hides wear and tear on the toes and heels.  Just looking at the thickness of the leather on Whites and Nicks, I would imagine that the break-in period is pretty long.

Pnut, I'll check out Lehigh, that's for the tip.  Nodebt, I've had kinda similar results on a few pairs of insulated boots over the years.  

The popular foam, gel, whatever soft insoles drive me nuts! They actually hurt my feet after a little while, even before diabetes started in on me. 

You got that right, Whites "shape" your foot but it's not so drastic as that, our feet adapt easily. The trick to breaking White's in reasonably quickly, a day or two is to get them wet and wear them dry and viola, they're broken in! I discovered that myself with my second pair. I had to wear them the next day at work before I could water proof them and the field was covered in dewy grass till the sun burned it off. It got them wet and soft and they didn't cause any of the typical break in pains. I had to snug the laces up a couple times till they were completely dry.

Remember do NOT lace them tight, just snug enough your heel won't lift off the sole is just right.

Frosty The Lucky.

My previous boots were Redwing Irish Setters; my current ones are Timberlands.  Since I have arches like a gothic cathedral, the hard leather stack insoles don't work for me. Instead, I use Spenco RX orthotic arch supports; these have a hard plastic arch support that can be softened in boiling water and reshaped to your individual foot. They work great even after the foam wears out.

Never tried that brand, but tanker boots have straps so that when you are in the turret the laces do not get caught on stuff. The original ones were designed by Paton and had a lace that went part way up, about the distance on a tennis shoe, and a strap around the top part. I served on an Abrams in the Army and the only other pair i wore was my Matterhorn's when the weather got really, really cold.  

If you know someone who is in the military or retired and can utilize the exchange you could get them a little cheaper. When i was in the pair i had cost around $150, that was in the 90's though. The ones they used to sell were a quality boot and 1 pair lasted me a long time. They had to hold up to service on a tank which is not kind to boots. 

Edit: forgot to add, do not even ask what brand they were that was almost 30 years ago i bought them. 

Edited by BillyBones

Since posting that i seem to recall that the one i had were Cochran's. 

Watch the stuff at surplus stores. A lot of it is not made by the same people making military gear. One big clue is look at where it is made. The military must buy clothing from an American manufacture. 

Loved those Matterhorns also. They are a big heavy boot though.

• 2 weeks later...