I Forge Iron

Anvil stand

I got this new Holland anvil today. I put it on this pile of lumber to check the ringing. Surprising considering this makeshift pile of lumber it is quite quiet. Just a little ringing when lightly struck at the heel. I put this 1/2" aluminum plate under the anvil and it eliminated any ringing. How will the steel and aluminum react?  I think the aluminum may react to the steel. Any ideas?

20220214_175147.jpg

Yes, dissimilar metals can react with each other in a galvanic reaction like the anode and cathode in a battery or an electrolysis set up.  However, the reaction needs an electrolyte to work.  It will not work dry.  If your shop was on a pier over salt water it might be an issue.  But if it is inside and dry I wouldn't worry much about the possibility.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have some better 5x6 lumber I plan to stand on end, bolt and glue together. The reason I am hesitant to use silicone is the cleanup if I change to a different  stand. I have some conveyor belting, not soft or rubbery so it shouldn't easily compress. Has anyone tried something like this? 

The anvil isn't very loud without anything under it but it could be more quiet. 

I've done both, depending on how much I needed the caulk to provide structural strength as well as sound deadening. Either way, make sure that the bottom of the anvil and the top of the stand are clean and free from grease, wax, paint, or anything else that will interfere with the bond, unless you have something else (chain, bracket, spikes, etc) that will be holding the anvil down.

(Side note: nice anvil. If I were in the market for a new anvil and had the budget, Holland would definitely be at the top of my list.)

This is how I mounted it last night. I will put some silicone under it and later will build a stand using the 5x6 posts I have. It definitely has a ring at the heel end, will need some silicone under it. A magnet works good but will not stay in place when hammering.  20220215_173806.thumb.jpg.fc8ecb0b1b6d2af3725253ecf2fba6d5.jpg

That table/stand looks like cast iron which doesn't do well with shock loading. I know some some companies, Fisher for example, made cast iron stands for their anvils so you might be fine... However, those were designed and cast with anvils in mind... Hm.. I'll defer to others opinions.

She's certainly a purty anvil.

It is cast. It has held up for many years under ASO and my HB. I am not sure it is the best material but I wanted to  get it mounted it and use it! I will build a decent wooden stand. Thank you, I like the looks of it too!

On 2/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I have a couple of old cast iron cream separator stands similar to that one, I haven’t found a use for yet, I might experiment with one an mount an anvil to it to see how well they hold up,

This is the same stand I am using. I have used it for 30 years and my wife's grandpa had an anvil on it before that. I think it is durable enough but upright wood or steel may provide more mass. When it warms a bit I plan to build one, it was -17 last night so is still chilly in the shop!

Screenshot_20220219-150656_Chrome.jpg