I Forge Iron

Happy Valentine’s Day 2022

TWISTEDWILLOW

My new neighbor told me life is slow and laid back here.  Don't believe it!  They drive like speed demons, skidding around corners, racing to the next stop light and lane drifting.  It's everywhere, even pushing shopping carts around the store like their hair is on fire.  I never seen so many people in such a hurry.  :D  I wonder if they act like that at home lol.

Nodebt; look up the origins of NASCAR racing...

Not a good day out here; my wife was going to fix a special dinner; but just as she got started she got a call that another of her Siblings was in the hospital with Covid and it didn't look good.  She's the oldest of 12; but most of them have had some pretty bad life choices compared to her.  They seem to be having a rough go of it as they age.  My wife did not go to the last funeral as a bunch of them told her they would not be following the CDC Covid guidelines....

So I fixed an impromptu dinner for both of us while she was on the phone all evening.  Cleaned out and built a fire in the woodstove, I didn't need one but she was cold...

There is a "car culture" down south; my college roommate had a trans am he had bought new after crashing his previous sports car and watching "Smokey and the Bandit", for real!  I was driving his mothers 1962 Buick special that I bought for US$100---I think I had the much better deal!  (Got US$60 for it when I sold it on...)

Now I'm driving an 18 year old 4 cylinder pickup  surrounded by folks driving pickups slightly smaller than Rhode Island, save for the Dualies, they are slightly larger!

I laughed out loud at the “yeah, yeah, yeah” comment. I’m born and raised in the South and been all over. That seems to be a uniquely North Carolina thing! I was stationed in Camp Lejeune  and didn’t get the full effect, being a melting pot of cultures from all over the US, but a couple years after my EAS I ended up living in Pittsboro NC. That “yeah, yeah, yeah” was one of the first things I noticed! 
Also, I never felt anything was laid back when I was there, they must be comparing things to other places I ain’t been. I’m originally from Mississippi, we know how to work hard and chill hard. 

I'd probably try rusting the roll first using a more dilute solution so I could let it soak a long time, probably a couple months.

Hard news Thomas, give your better half my best please, I'll say a few words with higher for Her, her Sister, family and friends. 

I have a good friend who recently discovered the bug he's been fighting for a week or two "turned into" Covid and put him to bed. I have a number of friends and acquaintances who don't take any precuations but I haven't kept up with acquaintances much in the last couple years so . . . . I've been to exactly ONE club meeting in the last 3 years and left early because nobody was masked and it was it's usual packed shoulder to shoulder. 

Stinky times. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I hauled 800# of scrap metal in it recently, (2 400# pieces); but I might hesitate to put a ton of coal in it if I had to go on the interstate...Once I owned my first small pickup, I haven't been without one since! (About 30 years so far...This one has a cap I can put on it and throw a pad and a sleeping in the back.)

I sold my dakota before we moved, now I wish I would have chanced driving it out here.  The only full size truck I owned was an old ford that would jump from park into reverse on it's own while idling.  First time it did it I was walking back to close the lane gate and heard a "clunk" and looked back and there she was, coming at me.  I jumped in just in time to half shut the door before it slammed into the gate post.  Had to hold the door shut with a c-vice grips everafter.

Because I’m constantly moving machinery, pulling trailers hauling heavy loads in the bed I run larger trucks now

but before I had the shop I got by just fine using smaller half tons an they worked perfectly for everyday hauling and pulling, 

I’m bad about pushing my machines above and beyond what they were designed for sometimes so there’s a point when I had to upgrade

currently my main truck is a 2500 HD with a 1000 pound Tommy lift gate, an a GVRW of over 9000 pounds and I can pull a trailer under 17000 pounds GVRW an stay under the legal commercial level, 

I’ve got a couple other old beat up 3/4 tons also,

but if I didn’t have the shop I’d definitely downgrade to a truck that’s cheaper on fuel!!!! Lol

I’ve taken no real precautions against Covid other than being my usual reclusive self. Thankfully the few friends that come over have been careful too. Didn’t stop the hospital from trying to diagnose me and treat me for Covid when I got pneumonia though. 

I really hope this social distancing thing just becomes the norm forever. I call myself reclusive mostly because I don’t go out much except for work, but I’m generally pretty friendly. I’ll talk to anyone, but I like my personal space. My kids don’t even invade my personal space except for a hug when it’s time for bed or when one of us is leaving or returning from a trip. 
My wife and dog are exceptions though, I’m usually sandwiched between them in bed and barely even able to move.