I Forge Iron

Replacing screw/box with parts from a scissor jack

Justor JeiGallo

Hello all,

I have an unknown (to me) type of small post-mount vise that I've been pretty happy with until I ended up snapping the screw in half a week or so ago. As you can see from the attached images, it looks like there might have been a stress crack or something that allowed moisture to get into the screw and corrode it. Of course it probably didn't help that I was chiseling a groove into a tong blank at the time either.

The screw seems to be somewhere between 5/8 and 3/4 and 11 tpi, but neither size of threaded rod diameter matches up, so I assume that it is metric. I'd have to source rod for it outside of my area, but I'm also concerned about the quality of the rod originally used for the vise, as it seems to be a standard coarse thread instead of a square, trapezoidal, or Acme. I'd also have to figure out how to reuse the handle on the new rod as I don't have a welder.

So I have what may be a hare-brained idea, and wanted to run it by you folks to see if it was feasible. I have a scissor jack that could be stripped of its screw and end box. The existing box threads on the vise could be drilled out to a smooth hole and the jack box fastened to either the front or the back of the rear hole. Instead of the existing handle, I could fasten a hex socket to the near end of the screw and use a small breaker bar as a handle.

As far as fastening the box to the vise, I don't own a welder, so would it be possible to braze the box to the vise using silver or other suitable rod and a propane forge burner? What am I not considering here?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

20220130_165232.jpg

20220130_165302.jpg

20220130_165814.jpg

20220130_165828.jpg

20220130_184503.jpg

20220130_184538.jpg

Thomas - unfortunately no, although thinking about it, there may be someone at work that I could ask about that. I would just have to track down an insert, unless the threaded part of the jack box is possibly removable from the housing?

Irondragon - I could check with my steel supplier about welding the original screw back to the handle, as they have on-duty welders. Would you have any concerns about the screw being rotted further up the shaft from where it broke? The other end that inserts into the screwbox is bubbly on the non-threaded tip.  I figured that if I took it to someone professional, either the cost to weld it would be outrageous, or they would just tell me that it couldn't be welded, but if you think that it would be ok I can certainly inquire about it.

That being said, I could also check into a matching new rod with them, but they only deal in mild steel and hardox, so I'm not sureI could get what might be a 'proper' screw material from them, unless I'm over thinking it.

Without inspecting the screw in person, it's hard to tell if there are other weak sections. However if it were mine I would grind tapers on the broken section to get a deep penetrating weld then put a brass washer on the screw to move it back a little bit. It really should not cost too much for that type of repair.

How much do you think it'll cost If the welding shop tells you it can't be welded? Perhaps they'll tell you it can but will probably cost more than a new screw and box.  It's unlikely a welding shop will know what a screw and box for a leg vise will cost but you'll have some hard numbers with which to evaluate your situation.

I've walked in the door to many welding and fab shops to ask this kind of question and been pretty well received. It was easy to tell when I'd talked through my welcome, they said so or told me that if I wanted to take up more of their time they'd have to charge me an hour shop time. 

Thank you, have a nice day. 

Your next step is at a machine shop and ask for a ball park estimate for turning and threading the screw and tapping the screw box. They might want to charge for a hard bid but most will give you a ball park estimate, say. Oh, $100 give or take $25.

Nice looking little vise.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldnt weld it. Chance of brittleness is too high. Well... with my welding skills at least: D

I had a similar problem once, and i fixed it with a m20 screw box, a piece of pipe to protect the threads and a key to build this: 20220227_170451.thumb.jpg.5a0f0cd51e6376d27cace300d4302fbf.jpg

the bar was made from another piece of m20 wire Rod and 2 nuts .20220227_170749.thumb.jpg.8aaed9c8c6a08a38bedd2a6922bc1a66.jpg

The box and front part and salvaged from a truck spare part mounting. 20220227_170551.thumb.jpg.d08aa1e550ff5fc564bbb3b1a7c66f68.jpg