I Forge Iron

900 tons Birdsboro Press -> Can I forge with it?

MickaelUSA

Hello

I am absolutely new to forging but I have an increasing need to make forged billets of 4130, 4140 and 4340 alloy steel.

I own a 900 tons Birdsboro press that has a bed size of 66 inches x 32 inches that can deliver about 850 psi on this bed.

The parts that I am looking to forge will be max 10 inches x 5 inches x 5 inches so the pressure that will be applied on this small surface will be close to 36,000 psi.

The descent speed is quite high and I believe that it is > 4 inches per second, can someone tell me if this equipment would be adequate for press forging?

image0 (24).jpeg

Well you should be able to build a JABOD for around zero dollars and using lump charcoal heat a piece and try it out all on a good  afternoon.   If you have access to a welder you can even weld a handle on a piece and not need to use tongs.

Shoot if we know where in the world you were at you might be able to get a local smith to bring out a propane forge and kit for free! (If you are in Central New Mexico, USA we can do it Saturday morning.  Or even Friday if I take a day off.)

So no buying of equipment and solid results to base your judgement on if it will work for your needs.

Welcome aboard Michael, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of meeting up with a member living within visiting distance. That'll let you test your press for free or maybe lunch. 

There's only ONE WAY to tell if your press will do what you need and that's try it out. How do you expect us to know? You haven't even told us what kind of forgings you wish to make and that makes a big difference. 

Open or closed die? Simple or complex shape. On and on. Sometimes press forging requires several steps.

If you are not willing to spend money to determine if you CAN do the work we can't help you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like you are looking for advice on medium scale industrial forgings.  We are mostly hobby blacksmiths here and don't necessarily have the background to assist you.  For anything on the scale we work with, a press like that would be extreme overkill.  I recommend you engage a licensed professional mechanical engineer familiar with industrial forgings to advise you.  You will need scale, dimensioned drawings of the expected forgings with all tolerances listed for the final part as well as an indication of what final machining will be used on the forged billet.

If all you are doing is forge welding pattern welded billets that machine will likely work well, but the power cost to run it will be outrageous.  YOu could crush most blacksmith sized forging presses to a pulp inside your press...;)

Thank you very much for the input, it is actually a press to serve a hobby and I was reflecting how I can use it further than just pressing aluminum sheets.

I am not looking specifically to forge parts in a close die but rather to forge billets that will be machined afterwards.

I live in Illinois near Libertyville so if someone is interested to leverage it, you are most welcome

Welcome Mickael,

Glenn Moon outside of Canberra Australia, has an 1,100 Tonne Hydraulic Press. His came out of the Railroad Shop in Sydney, when it closed. The US Government built two, 50,000 Ton Hydraulic Press' after the 2nd War, to press aircraft parts. They found Germany had a 35,000 Tonne Press to make structural parts for the Luftwaffe during the War. I believe ALCAN is using one in Cincinnati to press Titanium parts for Aerospace and Turbines.

Bigger Boys = Bigger Toys!!

To answer your original question, Why Not!!    Slow and steady wins the race. They are not like a Hammer, the effort goes to the center of your work piece and bulges it out.

Neil