I Forge Iron

Has anyone built a lever advantaged hydraulic press?

TBinKC

I have been considering a press of some sort for way longer than I care to admit. The designs seem relevantly straight forward. But every time I get into the thick of it, I consider getting a scotchman or similar "ironworker" type press. It got me to thinking...:unsure: why haven't I seen anyone use this type of press for forging? In my eyes, you should be able to use something like a 2:1 lever ratio to get twice the pressure of the straight line press which means 1/2 the needed input for the same results. Am I missing something here? Has someone already done this and I'm just missing it? Is it too difficult? what are the obstacles? other than money and time..:ph34r: go ahead.. let me have it.. I think I can handle it.

lever.jpg

More throw requires more flow and as a major issue with forging is how rapidly you can apply the force slowing things down is contraindicated.  Of course you could then use a larger pump, hoses, etc to increase the flow; but why not go that route directly?

BTW have you looked how knuckle presses work?  Of course their drawback is limited throw...

A 2:1 leverage advantage means a 2:1 disadvantage in stroke distance and speed. You get 2x the pressure at 2x the time and half the distance. 

I vote for the iron worker.

But yes, I've considered lever presses, I think about a lot of things I never intend to try just because. For the purposes of discussion you have a 5ton hydraulic jack on a 2:1 lever resulting in a bit under 10 tons pressure to the dies.

Suppose you make a lever press frame and lever but make the lever 10':1'. A little fun with springs and the lever would stay in position open at say 6' elevation. Add a 2:1 compound lever so the dies move in a convenient direction, eg top die mobile, bottom die anvil.

This would give the die a 3" stroke and if I'm putting my 200lbs on the lever 4,000lbs of force. If I need fast I bounce on the handle hard for IDK 3x my weight? Call it 12,000 or 6 tons.

But fast. 

Being the kind of guy who rejoices in linear extrapolation I envisioned lifting a 55gal drum filled with steel scrap cemented into a solid piece with a block and tackle or electric winch and releasing it with trip catch. like you see on Trebouchet. Ooooh a HARD hitter but slow for a second blow. So I imagined ways to make a vast spool type winch driven by an electric  motor that stored momentum in a spinning concrete filled tire. 

There are ways to do almost anything but is the bang worth the investment: money, time, performance specs, etc.

It is F U N to think about though. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.