I Forge Iron

A New(?) Method for Drawing Spirals

21 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

an approximation was as good as the "right" answer

For example, 22/7 is an excellent approximation of pi for almost all workshop calculations. I'm working on a 7' diameter arch for a customer, and an 11' circumference for the semicircle is only 0.0531085492"  (a bit less than 1/16") longer that the value you get from calculating with pi.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did my two years of engineering at University of Colorado. We had to take a philosophy class to make us well rounded. I took philosophy for the engineer. It was a whole summer semester "proving" that the point existed. Well, there is no proof that the point exists. You have to believe it and accept it. Sheesh, considering science is based on math, and math is based on "Believing" the point exists,,,,,  i gave up flying. I got a bit concerned just what would happen if in flight i suddenly doubted the point existed. Im not sure how much that had with me joining the Navy, but they both happened in the same time frame.  ;) 

I'm pretty sure the purpose of the class wasnt to have students draw my conclusions.  I didnt get a degree, but after the navy i started my farrier business. I went to college at the same time. farrier work is slow fall thru spring, so i kept my family fed via the GI bill. No school in the summer and shoeing was good. 3 years later, the GI bill ran out and I had a working Farrier business. Thats when I started spending all my working time between hammer and anvil, even if, as a primarily cold shoer the iron was cold. For what its worth, thats how I overcame the blacksmiths catch 22 for starting a business.

Wrenching this thread back around to reconnect with its original subject, it's notable that (according to Julian the Apostate, anyway) the words "Let none enter who has not mastered geometry" were written above the door to Plato's Academy in Athens.

Now geometry is another story. I really got grabbed by geometry whilst in junior high and high school and it has served me well as a blacksmith. Particularly when figguring out equivalent weights.

Yea, pretty tough. Definitely harder than becoming a Blacksmith. I thought that maybe a forged sign might help, but its hard to do much with,,,

Philosopher for Hire

On 9/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, JHCC said:

I just ran across the fun tidbit  

Here is my favorite tidbit. 

Mathematician James Grime of the YouTube channel Numberphile has determined that 39 digits of pi—3.14159265358979323846264338327950288420—would suffice to calculate the circumference of the known universe to the width of a hydrogen atom.

• 4 weeks later...