I Forge Iron

Wide Bar Stock

18 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Chainsaw bandsaw!

Hmm. A chainsaw blade runs at about 5,000 feet per minute. A carbide-tipped dry cut saw runs at about 1400 rpm. A 14" circular saw blade has a circumference of about 44 inches. 44 inches times 1400 rpm = 61,600 inches per minute, divided by 12 equals about 5133 feet per minute.

Let's braze some dry cut carbide teeth onto a chainsaw blade!!!

A chainsaw has a throttle, you don't have to run it wide open. A Stihl turns more slowly than say a Huskvarna chainsaw. You can buy carbide demolition chains that don't much care what you're cutting. 

I believe Thomas was talking about putting a bandsaw blade on a chainsaw or using a chainsaw to power a bandsaw. We'll probably have to wait for him to get home to clarify.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just saying---if you are going to experiment---have some fun!   There is a Huge Doall bandsaw behind the Geo building with what looks like a diamond blade on it.  I'd be lusting in my heart for it save that it runs on 440 VAC 3 phase IIRC. And I'm having enough trouble getting 220 single phase into my smithy!