I Forge Iron

Window grate

Davor

Agreed, if this is modern. I was just trying to think of another possibility if this was done before arc or acetylene welding. Each section may not even be welded. If a deep enough socket is forged into the split, and keep in mind that the split and socket could be done entirely for each level before assembly. Make the socket a tight fit, put the next crosspiece (with pre-punched holes) in place and drive the next section of bar into the socket. Once the last bar section is captured by the top crosspiece it would be nearly as strong as a single bar.

grate.png

I thought of that as a solution as well, but discarded it for two reasons. First and most important, even with a good paint job is that the sockets will collect moisture and rust out. Second is that with a round socket, they would have a tendency to twist out of plane over time, and that is not the case.

My solution was similar to Thomas, but I think his is more likely. They don't have to be welded or joined in any way in the back. The pass thru could be slit and drifted square. Next the backside is cut and opened up. It is then treated like a collar and closed back with the edges over lapped or butted against each other. This, I think describes what Thomas stated. Alas, the back is hidden and most likely hidden by paint as well.

• 8 months later...

Island Rab again, just a small gate. There is a window grill in the background that I didn't see until later on the picture.

Me taking pictures.

Wife: Why are u taking a picture of a gate?

Me: Mmm, you wouldn't understand.

Wife: ???

IMG_20220721_112007975_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220721_112016071_HDR.jpg

• 10 months later...

very nice! 

FWIW, My Grandmother was from Croatia and my Grandfather was from Serbia. My Dad visited Serbia, but the closest I got was working with a blacksmith in Prague for a month, thanks to ABANA in '87

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I see variations in thickness in the corner bends that might be consistent with welds.  And we know that has to be at least one forge weld in each piece.  You could pierce a billet and forge out an endless loop of bar.  But it would take more than clever assembly to feed that through a slit. 

Davor, do you know when Mr. Hradec was active?  This grill obviously has a Lot of welding done on it.  If it dates to the 19th century that may mean it is made of wrought iron and forge welding was used.  If the early 20th century that could mean gas or electric welding.  In any case I bet there were a LOT of apprentices and journeymen filing down welds to give the wonderful reult we see today.

Thanks.

GNM

Came across the same design in Třebíč also Czech Republic, towns are about 30 miles apart. Except the top and bottom holes are not punched in the same orientation, I could take a look at the back also but the picture is not focused from the back.

IMG_20230925_085758507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230925_085808917_HDR.jpg

Some new stuff I found in a store here, the smith has a shop in the next town. So here is a shout-out the mister Leupold  [commercial link removed]

Very interesting designs.

IMG_20230926_100202340.jpg

IMG_20230926_100145432.jpg

IMG_20230926_100153322.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

• 5 months later...

Very interesting.  It would appear to me that on the barrel the iron secured a large hole, maybe for filling, and the smaller hole below may have been for a tap (faucet).  I have no idea why such a substantial bracket would have been needed. The church piece would have take a LOT of repetitious work to fabricate but the end result is very impressive.  I assume that this is inside a museum.

GNM