I Forge Iron

Need some help with understanding forge welding

Hello everyone,

After reading for quite a while and learning that better preparedness is key, Im going to try forge welding for a second time very soon. Now armed with coal instead of charcoal, which makes managing heat higher and for longer easier, for me, I think Ill have better success than last time...
I have just one question regarding the whole thing:

Lets say I succeed to forge weld a 1075 bit to mild steel axe body, but what then?

As far as I understand, the grain will be very large and otherwise unsuitable for an edge, so should I just do regular normalizing cycles and proceed with HT as usual or are there some more steps in between Im not aware of?

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I couldnt find any information regarding my particular concern. Im just trying to better understand the process and maximize my chances of success. 
Thank you all for you help, cheers.

The grain growth that you get in forge welding an axe bit in is not typically a problem. In most cases after welding the bit in you will still be forging out the final shape you are distorting the grain again. If my understanding is correct, grain growth is mainly a problem when you are heating/over heating areas that won’t go through more forging. 

David

Actually normalizing is one of the steps in heat treating. Check out this for some help: "heat treaters guide companion". It is a free APK on Android and I believe ipod as well.

It will give you the specs on how to heat treat nearly any steel you may come upon.the basic steps are 

Forge, normalize, anneal, cold work, harden, temper, final cold work.