I Forge Iron

John Deere Barstools

Here are some photos of a recent project I made. A client wanted some barstools made out of two cast JD seats she bought.
But she didn't want to spend much money.:rolleyes:
These are the first barstools I have made and I had a lot of fun making them. They are made from 3/4" solid square and finished in beeswax. I have not delivered them yet but I sure hope she likes them. Please let me know how you guys and gals feel about them.
Thanks,
Tom Adams

DSC00590.JPG DSC00589.JPG DSC00586.JPG

Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Gives me an idea for some shop stools. i am interested in just how much is not much money too... as the cast iron tractor seats seem to go for no less than $30 each( more like 40-50) at local auctions. Been wanting to make some stools from them but am a bit of a cheapskate( used to see these same seats go for less than $5 each about 2 years ago).

Sean aka Bear

Thank you guys for the kind words. Well I didn't get to take them to her tonight. I worked in the shop too late but I will let you know how she likes them.

Frosty-Bear... She bought the seats and I do not know what she paid for them but I will try to find out. We settled on a price of $100 each that is without the seat like I said. That is why I just welded the legs on instead of forging everything out and adding more time and steel. Looking on the Internet afterwords I think I should have charged more but she is a friend also. If I make more I would charge about $400 for two with seats, of course I would need to find the cost of those seats from what you guys are saying. Wow that is more that I thought those seats would cost.

$100 each for mostly fabbed and customer supplied elements is a fair price. Today.

For more copies, figure your bid on what you know and have with the caveat that specialty elements are additional. There are all kinds of stamped and cast seats like this out there from JD, to Cat to Tonka and the prices range enormously.

Nice job, you done good.

Frosty

Thanks Frosty that was my goal, to be be fair. You gave me some good things to think of on future stools also. I'm not real sure I would use the same seat idea in the future though. I'm thinking of something either forged or wood. I did not think these seats were real comfortable in my opinion. I actually would probably use the tractor seat cushions if they were mine. Then I'm not sure what the point of the seats would be though. They are more for looks than anything. However my old metal seats on my tractors are very comfortable. But they are real and solid steel. Thanks again!!

Well I delivered them today and she liked them very much. She did not remember how much the seats were though, I know some of you were wondering. I am thinking of using cowhide with the hair still attached on the next ones. I think that would look good, I'll just make a seat and cushion it then attach the hide. What do you think??