I Forge Iron

New 2x72 Grinder

SinDoc

Let us know how the tension system works out.  Usually a spring (or other suitable device) is used to keep constant tension on the belt.   As you use belts they can stretch a little bit.  This is pretty much undetectable with constant tension on the belt, but it could result in some extra slack in use in a system without that.

One hp is enough to get you started, but more power is better.  Lower power does help teach you to let the belt do the work and also to change out belts when they stop cutting well.  However, when you really want to hog off some metal, a low grit belt with lots of power behind it just can't be beat.

So far he says the tensioning is working nicely. Like I said, the knob on the block in the upper part is attached to the threaded rod that connects to the upper mostly block which isn't fixed to the rails so it can slide up and down in action with the threaded rod.

He said he was using it for some of his other projects and was almost not wanting to give it to me as it was working really really well lol.

Hot tub motors usually run between 3-5hp. I grabbed one and before I got it ripped out of the hot tub two more showed up leaving the one in the worn out hot tub on our upper deck. Once I get 230v in the shop I'll have a happy belt grinder and 50lb. Little Giant and spares in case I think of something else that needs a motor. 

The plate behind the belt is the "platten" the one you rest the work on to grind is the "rest." 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 minutes ago, SinDoc said:

Platten. Thats the word I was forgetting.

"Platten" or "platen" is correct. Not to be confused with "patten" (a clog with a raised sole or a metal ring for lifting one's feet out of the mud), "paten" (a gold or silver dish used in certain Christian traditions in the celebration of the Eucharist), or "Patton" (Old Blood and Guts).

Didn't Rommel have Patton Pending issues? 

I like sliced plantains fried golden brown with eggs and rice for breakfast. It took a little time to get used to rice and eggs for breakfast but when in Hawaii, have mahi mahi, rice and eggs for breakfast everybody else is. 

I need to visit again, it's been too long.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am being told that minus some cleaning up and such, it is now complete!

Currently in the picture it is still attached to the 1/3 HP motor but he found a 2HP motor in his pile that he just needs to modify slightly to get the assembly to mount to it then add in his variable switch to it. He did say the new motor is reversible if I would ever need to run it that way (not sure why I ever would. Maybe if I flipped what side it was hanging off the bench?).

Should be picking it up Friday then I can get it home and get it all wired up and installed then report back on how it works! I know several of you had design concerns, so I am curious to see how it all works out.

185941039_2602232953233951_7253354626418880717_n.jpg

We'll be looking forward to how it works for you. 

Not to belabor the point but your "work deck" is called the "Rest" or "Tool Rest", it's where you rest your work when using the tool.  

Frosty The Lucky.

I tend to not lay in one for very long. I honestly just prefer to throw a pillow on the ol wooden swing, give it a good shove to start swinging then take a nice nap. The swing is one of my most cherished possessions. It was made by my late grandfather who finished it a few scant weeks before his death. That and he made house piggy banks for my daughters a few days before passing. Man worked quite literally up until the day he died. Was a fantastic carpenter.

Not at the moment. He plans on building another assembly so I can just switch the two. However we had a failure over the weekend that needed addressing and a redesign lol. The bearing in the top wheel came loose and caused the idler axle to become unbalanced. I had noticed something was wrong as I couldn't keep the belt from moving while I was grinding. I messed with the tracking knob to try to bring it back and nothing worked so I stepped off to the side and sure enough 3 seconds later the belt popped off and I shut it off. I could have shut it off before the belt went, but was honestly curious to see what would happen when it comes off so I knew what could happen. That and if I had shut it off it wouldn't have spun down fast enough to really change anything.

191286198_2249728305160101_6605094267284281842_n.jpg

195187684_162746302401414_3428989761414542060_n.jpg

• 5 months later...

You could ask Rommel for his German engineering tips on a proper axle/bearing assembly, but I'm pretty sure his "Patton pending issues" were never resolved to the Fatherland's satisfaction.  ;-)  

I like the simplicity and general grouchiness of a big, oval 'Grizzly' type grinder like this -- even though it may be less nimble than a typical bladesmith's 2x72, like not sure how you're going to run small contact wheels, etc., and it doesn't look like it pivots -- still, this thing will grind metal for days and do the large majority of work you need done. Is that belt a 72" or a 48" -- sorry -- guess I missed that... Was the repair effort successful? Any other tweaks or upgrades since June?

When a Grizzly gets fed up to big and oval they aren't very grouchy, they much prefer to tuck in for a long nap. 

Of course if you're persistent enough to get their attention they can remove meat like you wouldn't believe.

Frosty The Lucky.