I Forge Iron

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

jgrote

If I were to print my family tree it would show me as having been the fruit of rotten limbs as far back as the records go. At every division of Good Seed - Bad Seed, fate rolled Bad Seed for my line every time. I thought I had managed to break the pattern, but my daughters seem determined to pick it back up. 

• 3 weeks later...

You guys crack me up. Thanks for the smiles on a day when I'm sitting at home, sick. I've got so much work to do, but just feel beat up today. I like the idea of using 4x4, and I think I may have some laying around. I'll see what I can throw together this weekend. I also need to get the boat pulled out, cleaned up, and sold. Looking forward to the happiest day of a boat owner life. My next metal project is going to be building poles for some sail shades to cover my deck. I won't have much use for my anvil on this one, but will be doing a bit of welding. Hoping to pick up materials tomorrow.

Right you are J. The two happiest days in a boat owners life, the day they buy it and the day they sell it. We had a 18' inboard outdrive when I was a kid and it wasn't terribly expensive but it wasn't very fast. It'd pull two skiers but one on a single ski could really slow it down cutting the wake hard. We mostly did a little skiing and fishing.

I miss that old boat, she was truly unique she didn't cost a mint and Dad was sad to see her go. 

That's the story of our family, we never seem to tread the "normal" path.

Frosty The Lucky.

Speaking of putting money into your boat, when I was working at the art restoration studio, we did a job for Malcolm Forbes’s yacht “Highlander”, where we got paid many hundreds of dollars to clean the rust from and put a clear finish over a pair of vintage Highlander Beer cans. 

Well, I only paid $3k for it, put about $400 into it, used it for a season, and now it's time to move it on. Boat prices are through the roof in my area, so now is the time. For as much as we used it last season, I figure I'll just rent someone else's money pit every time we want to get out on the lake. I have better uses for that stall of my garage. Time to get off my butt and get it pulled out and cleaned up. Thanks George. I'll look into it.

Ooooo you make light fixtures? Mind posting a couple pictures of ones you made? My primary job is lighting and I am a bit of nerd for it. You would be amazed at how expensive lighting can get. Hand made custom items can go for INSANE amounts. Not long ago I sold what is called a moon ring. It was a ring of spun aluminum that was 38" in diameter with LED up/down lights. Little bugger was 6k! Probably cost maybe $400 in parts and materials if that.

The little one was something I made a few years ago. It's made out of parts from a Powerglide trans out of a 1957 Chevy Belair. The big one is something I just put together for my foyer. the pic is not great, but you get the idea. Everything on it is reclaimed except the shades and the wire. However, the shades are made of old oil drums. I've got parts out of a 265 V8 (also from said 57 Chevy) and a Subaru Forester. All I need is some time.

17238.jpeg

20210228_233138.jpg