I Forge Iron

My first forge. Need help with burners

Jack Pine Savage

Hi I am building my gas forge from a compressor tank. I just received two burners I purchased and want some advice. First off I was surprised to see a restrictor plate with holes on the end of my burner tip. I fired them up and really don’t know how they look. Adjusting the nozzle in and out of the burner tube didn’t have a lot of effect on flame. They are Fucina burners. How does this flame look and do you think it would help to either make the holes larger in the plate or to remove it. It seems like it would create back pressure.  The flame starts like 3/8 inch out from the plate and is pretty finicky about getting too much air. Just really not sure if this flame looks good. This is my first post to the forum

6FE3CC69-D3D2-4333-B69A-B89AC537EA63.jpeg

C5ABAE3B-46B2-4558-B13C-461540994D00.jpeg

Thanks for the help. The build has gone well so far just lit things up last night and thought I don’t have a clue if that is a good flame. I am using a 7 gallon compressor tank, 2” kaowool, Simwool rigidizer, Hell’s forge castable refractory cement, CTI 100 coating. I have the burners coming in tangent to the tank radius. Start putting in the kaowool this weekend.  I appreciate the help. I added my location. I am in Caldwell Idaho. I am a Michigander now living in a desert where nothing rusts! 

"Restricter plates"? That is the first time I've heard a name for them, but have been thinking about the design since blue flame lighters hit the market a few years back.

First ting to know is that They may have been designed for a different fuel than you're are using in them. You need to check that out.

Second thing is that all of them are designed to be used with secondary air available to the burner, so don't attempt to seal them in your forge.

Third thing is that they probably can't be tuned to a completely neutral flame, but can be tuned close enough. So don't get in a sweat trying to obtain the impossible.

Good luck with them, and keep us posted.

I don't think that's a "restrictor" plate as much as it shapes the flame. The entire mixing tube being tapered allows a crazy turn down range while maintaining a proper fuel air ratio. There were similar burners in the asphalt lab to heat glassware evenly and not turn a sample into a bad ash content test. 

The ones in the lab burned NG but it was easy to buy orifices for other flammable gasses, propane being first on the list but others, even acetylene were available. No telling what gas you'll be able to find in the field.

Flame holders on lab burners tended to be screen covering the outlet, Fisher Burners being an easy to search example.

It's an interesting burner, I don't know how good a forge burner it'd make but I'd like to have one to play with and see.

Frosty The Lucky.