I Forge Iron

Phenolic for wear surface on a hammer

I have a large chunk of 1" thick phenolic that I would like to use as a wear surface in my hammer. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea using it for the slide box of the hammer? The box will be around 32" tall and the hammer is around 4" x 8" x 34" and i have enough to line the whole box.  Good idea or bad idea? We are making the fit adjustable for future wear.

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Phenolic Plastic that has a reinforcing mat in it is tough stuff and I would venture that it is way better than the often used UHMWP ( white chopping board ) as its often used for bearings and gears and if well lubed lasts along time. Bronze would even better but if you want to use what you have I would say go for it

Phenolic resins are very high temperature materials, they're often used in jet and rocket engines, I doubt friction as a skid bearing surface in a power hammer will bring them anywhere near their smoke point. I'd be more concerned with dust caused by abrasion but if it's lubed it should be okay. I made some jet engine parts with heat cured, phenolic impregnated fiberglass mat in the early 70s in S. Cal. It is awesome tough stuff, if I needed to it's what I'd make armor with, 2 plies of 7 oz. stopped bullets up to 3006 military hard ball. Silver tip hunting bullets left smears. 

It s or was expensive though.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...