I Forge Iron

Electric Furnace and Melting Copper

Hi Everyone,

New here.

I recently purchased an electric melting furnace off ebay. It heats up to 1100 degrees C and I am still having trouble getting the copper to liquify.

It came with a 3 kg crucible and I also purchased a 1 kg crucible. Yesterday I loaded the 1 kg crucible up with copper, put it in the furnace. It slowly got up to temp 1100C and was red hot. After 1.5 hours it still would not melt...even though it was at 1100C.

I am not sure of other factors that could have effected the melt. 50 degrees F outside, low wind. I am not sure what the problem is. 

Is the 1 kg crucible not made for the 3 kg unit...it seemed a little loose fitting.

Ideas/thoughts. Anything will help.

Thanks 

normally when melting a metal you want to reach a higher temp than the melting point to allow for the times it takes to move it from the heat to the pouring mold, 

Your question tells me you have not cast metals before, copper isnt the best starting point, try Aluminum first to learn the ropes them move to other metals

First time doing copper. Watching videos and reading reviews, people had no problem doing copper with this furnace. I was just wondering if it was having trouble melting in the 1kg crucible since it is not as close to the heating element as the 3kg one. 

I just dont want to use the 3kg crucible if it is not going to melt.

Of coarse I waiting on a reply from the seller.

I just found that particular kit on Ebay (like Keets said in his first post). The brand is TOAUTO. However, there are a ton of what are essentially the same furnaces under several Chinese brand names I found by just searching 1400W furnace for melting copper. 

Links to commercial websites are not allowed per the TOS, wasn't too hard to find though.

Gadget, have you tried blown air over charcoal? Since the first time I tried it 10 years or so ago, I haven't looked back.  I had expected it to take similar times to my propane torch.  Instead I melted the steel crucible (which I don't recommend for a number of reasons, this being one of them) and had about five or six lbs of molten aluminum running out of the drain hole less than three minutes after putting the crucible in.  Worked a treat for copper and bronze once I slowed things down and used proper crucibles.

• 2 years later...