I Forge Iron

TPAAAT wins again! (also, please help identify)

So there I was.  In a barn in rural New Hampshire browsing around while I was buying up a cart for the workshop I saw online.  He told me he was moving so everything was for sale.  I immediately whipped out my TPAAAT and asked if he had any anvils hiding in the barn.  Lo and behold, he shows me this.

IMG_3379.jpg.da233103f0edaf468f66698bd0275d73.jpg

He said he already had an offer of $250, but didn't know when or if the guy would come get it.  I went straight to the bank and came right back with $250.  Just got home.  I think it's a Peter Wright based on the shape and the "Solid Wrought" stamp. Can anyone confirm and give me an idea of the year to satisfy my curiosity?  The only other marking on it is a 7 stamped on the other side, which I assume is an inspector's mark.  

IMG_3364.jpg.c17fbb130ed7ae7848f4faef4ed39729.jpg

Any information about it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Is there any sign of a Trenton diamond on it? The proportions seem more like a Trenton than a Peter Wright to me, and many of the Trenton anvils also had the flats on the feet and the "solid wrought" stamping. Additionally, as far as I know Peter Wright always used the hundredweight markings rather than pounds.

What does the bottom of the base look like?  I'd say Trenton too: narrow waist and flats and WEIGHT IN POUNDS NOT CWT!

Top of the line either way and a great price these days.  I got my 468# Trenton much the same way: he told me he had offer of $350 a couple years back and turned it down. i asked him if he would take it in cash today and the deal was done!

I think I just need to give in and get myself a copy of Anvils in America.  :)  I'll get some better shots of the feet and a shot of the base tomorrow, if I can make it out to the garage after the snow buries us.  Anybody else up here in New Hampshire?

Yep, the rebound is fantastic.  If you wouldn't mind looking up what you can in AIA, I would appreciate it.  Trying to figure out a little more info on it since it doesn't have any serial numbers and the Trenton logo is missing.  

Looking at AIA, Mr P writes that some of the earliest Trentons were made in Germany and some were look like they were made by Peter or Henry Wright. A Peter or Henry if: The weight is below where the the trademark should be; a circular "solid wrought"; flat  bottomed forged base, no S/N, with stepped feet. Mr P does not say if the Wright made anvils had the weight in pounds or CWT. I saw what I believe was a German Trenton and the weight was in pounds, That one was marked as a Trenton with the weight under the trademark.

I think I am reading AIA right, if so it looks like a Wright well made anvil.

The college where I work has a physics laboratory named for the Wright brothers, although neither of them went here. However, their sister did, and she apparently convinced at least one of them to help underwright the construction of the lab.

Oh, ThomasPowers I finally got around to getting you pics of the bottom of the anvil.  Had to dig the garage out of the snow!  Does this tell you anything new?

909322895_IMG_3418(1).thumb.jpg.3c878e394624d0c50584e431b3112a9b.jpg

IMG_3419.thumb.jpg.e3f928fa8aca604f61330235d3ca0924.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag