I Forge Iron

New to me Lakeside

Timeweasel

Hey guys, getting ready to get started on my blacksmithing journey and today drove a couple hours to pick up what was being sold as a 100 pound Trenton anvil. Upon closer inspection it says Lakeside on the side of it. From what I can tell from research it was made by the same folks that made Trenton but sold by Montgomery Ward under the Lakeside name. I don’t have a copy of AIA yet but have one on the way. Can anyone tell me the age from the serial number? It is 183586. The left side number isn’t legible. I try to figure out how to post some pics.

1C39881B-07CD-4E8A-B380-096DEF2FE3F4.thumb.jpeg.5e45ad8c504866125c0939e8dcfff5b0.jpeg

307CA4F6-871E-4F83-8EEB-773461FA73FC.thumb.jpeg.eba394932f73abc358d27a30b77d0726.jpeg

011E22C0-D952-4611-B235-F7761F4FFAC7.thumb.jpeg.b2c5fd82065d7f3dd78615ad3c978a8a.jpeg

Welcome aboard Timeweasel, glad to have you. Like many manufacturers the folk who made Trentons were plenty happy to put whatever name on a product a customer was willing to pay for. Your Lakeside sure looks like a Trenton to me but I've been fooled more times than I can count. That's one reason I'm not so curious about the who and when an anvil was made. I'm more interested in the quality and condition.

The condition of yours appears to be perfectly useable. The visible edge looks pretty chipped up but we see worse all the time. Sharp edges are a bad thing anyway. If you need a sharp or close radius edge they're easy to make, a piece of steel bar with a shank to fit your hardy hole welded to one side or end and you can grind any shape edge you wish. Yes?

What do you plan to use for a stand? A section of tree trunk is as old as people have wanted their anvils at a comfortable working height and a good choice. Lumber screwed, glue (optional) standing on end makes an excellent stand as well. By cutting some pieces of lumber longer than the actual base surface you can make a rim to hold the anvil in place with just enough hold down to keep it from bouncing. If you weld we come to my favorite anvil stand, the steel tripod. Stable on any surface (if you don't get silly :rolleyes:), allows you to work very close to the anvil and surprisingly they do a good job of quieting a loud anvil Trentons are known for being pretty darned loud.

Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. The stand is gonna be this weekends project. I'm actually still debating about using a tree or maybe some pressure treated 6x6's. I'm not a tall fella and have non-lanky arms so I'll only need a stand about 17-18 inches. I'm beyond ready to get started, just trying to do it right and learn as I go and not try to do too much. I've got a little 2 burner castmaster forge I'll be setting up this weekend as well. I've been reading and reading and reading on here. So much info. It is really appreciated. I do like my old anvil. I know it;s chipped up....but man it is flat as can be. Most anvils for sale in my neck of the woods are so swayed....plus everyone wants $8/lb too. I couldn't pass this up. I also like to think about it as a piece of history being as old as it is....and now I get to hammer on it too. Imagine the stories our old anvils could tell.....

Yall will be seeing a lot of me. I'll keep ya posted and thanks again! 

I'm not a fan of pressure treated wood for anvil stands, you WILL be dropping HOT things on it and the smoke is B A D for you. I don't know about using a tree though, I've never needed more than a small part of one. :rolleyes:

We make our anvil stands to fit us personally, I don't think there's a height requirement for the smith, just the anvil face. About wrist height is go for a single person shop. Knuckle height was more a height for strikers unless you use a lot of top tools.

That old lady of yours has lots of life in her, your grandkids will be telling their kids about grandpa the blacksmith while they teach them the craft on her. 

Most anvils sing but the lyrics are in an iron age language of some sort.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...