I Forge Iron

Anyang ST - The real deal?

Was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. Is the Anyang ST company a totally different company from Anyang AFP? 

I'm not in the market for a power hammer, but noticed a blacksmith in the UK has become a dealer for Anyang ST hammers. If these are in fact two different companies all together, which one is the real and original? Just thought it would be good to clear this up for anyone looking to buy, might be something to look out for. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

A quick exercise of my Google fu shows "Ayang ST" is Anyang Strong" and manufactures industrial forging, hammers, presses, etc.

Anyang AFP is Anyang Forging Press company and manufactures the same but has contracts to sell in countries all over the world.

Anyang is the City's name. And that's as far as I looked into it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Please reference the following from the Anyang AFP USA site: https://www.anyangusa.net/clone-hammers.--cautionary-tale.html As far as I am aware the AFP company is the "original" and I know for a fact that James Johnson provides excellent customer support.

Direct link to commercial site removed. Feel free to copy and paste into the browser of your choice.

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

I bought mine a 33lb from the Toronto blacksmith shop great service and its a clone of the anyang and the way i look at whats the difference there all made in china they all run the same parts .I've had it two years and for a compact hammer it has great control and hits hard and if i was a bettin man i'd say most are all made in the same shops and sent out under differant names.I have a buddy that bought a used one that was busted up pretty bad and he got his parts from James Jonhson for his clone and i was told he's great to deal with.

Not all hammers made in China are the same... they have different designs and the parts are not interchangeable.  Up until 2015 when we totally redesigned the Anyang Forging Press (AFP) hammer, the Chinese hammers were all similar but even then did not have interchangeable parts.  We call the Anyang ST the Stolen Technology hammer.  They made a fairly close copy but the machining tolerances are not the same (AFP has verified this).  The government has shut them down twice.  Basically, they have been a trading company and farmed out the machining... and the latest machining that was making parts for the ST company was forced to stop making parts for ST and to apologize to AFP for "stealing" the designs.  The people who started ST used to work for AFP, stole the drawings and quit.  We believe they have probably found another company to make parts for them... so the process will start all over again.  But AFP is the original maker of the power hammer.  My father and I have traveled to China at least once a year since 2008 working with AFP and other distributors making improvements to the hammers and working on quality control.  AFP has been in business since 1956 and are the largest manufacturer of machines for the forging industry.  We will continue to focus on quality and improvements for decades in the future.  ST may or may not be in business long term.  The government is still investigating them.  I do have a lot of information on the AFP hammers, the history, video's showing capability, etc. on this website:  If you have any questions, email  me at   James Johnson 

Edited by Mod30
Remove link,email & phone# perTOS

• 2 weeks later...

"We call the Anyang ST the Stolen Technology hammer" 

James we both know power hammers are an old design ,and the chinese manufactures has been using European or Russian hammers as inspiration for their "own" design. 

I have several times read that "inventions" that the AFP team clame to come up with has been around for years. I had one of the AFP dealers living in my house for some days 2 years ago , we had a great time. When a showed him a photo from 2010(with a date ) of an chinese hammer the had "upgrades" that the 2018 AFP team clame to come up with newly, the subject quckly changed to something else.   

James I admit that you work hard to feed AFP to imporve the hammer, but you diddent invent it any major design changes, sorry. 

Who was the frist to get an Chinese made hammer with H13 dies? 

ST started wrongly with a group of staff how quit their job at AFP of different reasons. Its wrong to take an drawing to gain their own cause. Same is saying that ST dont have the skills needed to make a very good hammer . Even AFP have bought parts  and casted hammer body from then when they diddent have in their own stock. All parts and hammer frames was bought from ST buy AFP under the close down prosess. These hammer was rebranded and shipped to you in the US and sold as AFP hammer. 

ST has a great team with higly skilled person that will continue to make power hammers. 

James please stop saying "We call the Anyang ST the Stolen Technology hammer". Its a complex matter and it will not gain your own business in the end. 

Stay safe. 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Jonnytait said:

Was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. Is the Anyang ST company a totally different company from Anyang AFP? 

I'm not in the market for a power hammer, but noticed a blacksmith in the UK has become a dealer for Anyang ST hammers. If these are in fact two different companies all together, which one is the real and original? Just thought it would be good to clear this up for anyone looking to buy, might be something to look out for. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes ST and AFP is two seperat companies. 

ST team  has staff that had worked at AFP for many many years. They are very skilled power hammer manufactures.   

On of the reasons that several of AFP staff left AFP was low wages and started ST. AFP is a huge companie and they small power hammer devition is less then 5% of their main business focus. But AFP makes great power hammers , but the production time is very long. 

Reasons way ST started out was to focus on power hammers 15-75 kg and forge presses.  They had the contact needed to get this up running quickly and the experience to quickly manufacture a good Chines made hammer. If your looking for a power hammer ST is an great option. 

I dont have a horse in this race. But after having spent most the past year dealing with another business using the Fenris ForgeTM name, I will say is Its rude to knowingly name your business after another of the same name, You could have came up with your own name and not tried to ride on the coat tails of anothers existing business

4 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

I dont have a horse in this race.

You just singned one the race now i guess..

Anyang is a Chinese city. Not a one company brand name. 

Mod note: There is no need to quote the post we all have just read, it wasted bandwidth for those on dialup and paying by KB for access