I Forge Iron

Question reguarding vices

NateDJ

I am wondering what the advantages of a post vice over a machinist vice that is well mounted and of about the same weight?
Seems they are easier for me to find and would likely work but I have never used a post vice so I must ask the question.

Machinist or engineers' vice are made from cast iron, with parallel jaws and are not designed for impact or shock loads, they will crack,

post vices are made of suitable 'iron' to withstand shock, and do. They are the proper tool for the job

Edited by John B

Yup a good day smithing at the vise will destroy a machinist vice and not even dent a post vise much.

Also in general a machinist vise the same weight as a post vice generally costs several times as much even used.

I'd suggest you start saving for the Salt Fork Hammer-in in OK this Oct and pick up a good post vise there. Note that pretty much everything on a postvise is easily made or repaired *BUT* the screw and screwbox so always check that our carefully---I talked a lady over the phone through checking that the screw was not very worn for a CraigsList postvise in ALBQ just recently.

If you hammer on a machinists vise all the force is transmitted to the ways and the screw. A blacksmith vise is constructed so that most of the force of the hammer blow is taken up by the fixed leg with very little on the hinge and none at all on the screw.

You can use a standard bench/machinist vise, just don't do too much heavy hammering, if it is a good vise, say a Wilton, and it's a heavy one, it will hold up for a long time as long as you don't abuse it, but other than being easyier to find they are normally more money.
I got my first post vise at a auction for $30 and my 2nd one I got for free that I found in an old shed, it just needed cleaned up.
So if you keep an eye out and look around you'll find one.

welder19

A note of warning to the machinists' vice user, particularly if working in a shop that can have an overnight drop in temperature.

If a vice is left with the jaws in the closed position, especially if you have been using it to hold hot metal, then with a temperature drop and the shrinkage involved, then there is a danger the moving jaw will fracture at its weakest point.

Thanks for the info, this is exactly why I ask the question! I would have never known until I broke the big stupid :) Ok so I am saving up for a new (to me) vice. I have been to the farmers market and the guy there, only one left that sells this kind of stuff, tells me his brother in Louisiana has a nice vice or 3 and 2-3 good anvils, he also thinks it is good of me to teach my kids "how to shoo horses" so I am not sure what kind of anvils he has. He has no idea what he will want for the equipment but he should be able to get it up here "by this time next year". So ... ya I am going to have to look for a vice some where else.

Will try to make the conference but I have an anniversary around that time to so... no idea.

They do, and I have been a "regular" on Saturdays for about a month now. Not seen any tools except for a very large (pallet size) pile of ~5/8" allen wrenches, a pile of which I took to make punches and chisels out of.
This is the place where I have purchased my forklift forks that I am making my anvil from.

Nate, start asking every one you know, at church if you attend, put up a flyer at the hardware store/feedstore/grocery store/etc. Be surprised if it took you very long to find one that way and then you can start selling the rest to other folks looking for them!

(Jimbob; you're allowed to do this as well)

Edited by ThomasPowers

Jimbob, start asking every one you know, at church if you attend, put up a flyer at the hardware store/feedstore/grocery store/etc. Be surprised if it took you very long to find one that way and then you can start selling the rest to other folks looking for them!

You mean Nate

One thing to remember is to, hammer toward to back of vise. If you hammer toward the front or handle you cause more damage to the screw and ways. If you have material in the vise pulling toward you, to bent it dose the same thing. Also try to center your material in the jaws. I'm with the above posters try to locate a leg vise. In a leg vise, since the jaws are not as heavy you can make a tighter 180 degree bent around the jaws.

Larry