I Forge Iron

How to ask steel suppliers for their scrap

Hello, I've seen several people on this forum talk about how they get steel cutoffs and drops from a steel supermarket. I'm considering trying that, but it occurred to me that they may not want me to get steel for free from them instead of paying. Some of this is talked about in other threads but I think it might be a useful resource to have this info in one place. Here are some of my questions, should I buy metal from them and then mention looking through their scrap? Is there something I could do for them that could be useful for them to feel more comfortable with me taking their steel? How do I get them to take me seriously? Should I mention to them I'm a blacksmith or anything else? 

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, i apologize if it's in the wrong place! :D 

Thanks!!

I doubt there is a formula for that, more a case by case.

In Sydney I buy steel from Edcon Steel and Waratah Steel. Edcon is more a boutique supplier that cuts small amounts and is more likely to have scrap. The times I got scrap for free was unsolicited. The worker cut some steel for me and chucked the leftover in my truck saying, better there then in our scrap bin. If I wanted to get more scrap for free I would ask the person working in the yard. Having said that, if this practise becomes routine and more than 2 people start asking, I bet it will be banned by the owner or supervisor. 

If they won't give it to ask if you can pay scrap price for it. Here scrap is $40 a ton or 2 cents a pound..

Either way, afterwards I would make something for them and drop it off as a thank you. 

A friend went to his yard during the summer with a case of Gatorade for the guys and they would let him grab the scraps.

Do NOT ask the people at the counter, they can't give the okay, they have to charge per cut too.  Just buy a stick and go get it out back. The yard guys will almost always cut it to haul but the guys at the counter have to charge the standard per cut price. 

If you just HAPPEN :rolleyes: to have a box of doughnuts in your truck chances are the yard dogs won't notice if a few pieces from the drops fall into your truck. Just keep your mouth shut. 

Frosty The Lucky.

If it's a small shop then be polite and ask to speak with the boss or owner. Explain to him that you're an amateur blacksmith and show him  two or three  pieces that you made and could you have a few pieces of leftover or maybe bent steel that they can't use. 

Thank him and if it looks like he's interested in what you do then bring back something you made from his steel.

If you're not an amateur, then just go out and buy the stuff . 

Alright. I'm hearing a few different things but I'll definitely try them all, one of the advantages to living near a city is that we have a bunch of places that sell steel and not just one supplier. Thank you all for the great advice!

4 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Dont ask to be given always offer to pay something.

YES! Thanks Billy, I forgot that. The yard dogs are in contact with the front desk and can make sales. Offer to pay for drops or scraps, as long as you don't get greedy they'll often just toss them in your truck. The supplier I deal with where I am now is a very small operation, the guy cutting and loading my steel usually IS the counter guy or owner but their price to cut for transport is good to nothing. 

Where ever you buy good people skills is valuable. You need to read the people you're talking too, be friendly polite and not waste a bunch of their time. My problem is remembering to STOP being a likable BSer and let them get back to work. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, small dealer not a chain store; when I buy steel there I mention that I will be using it in the forge and so bends, rust, off size, etc doesn't really matter to me.  Sometimes it lets them clean the "unsaleable" stuff out of their storage racks/bins.  If so I usually get it at a steep discount, like 92' of 1/4" sq stock for the price of 35'.  As I'm generally buying small stuff anyway I bring my own 30" hacksaw and cut it on-site.  Sometimes that will get an offer of free cutting as well.  Never expecting it and being very grateful seems to help.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple Fridays ago, I walked into my local spring shop with a case of cold Bud Light and asked if they'd like to trade some drops for a case of beer. They were happy to. I left with about a #100 of 5160 in a variety of dimensions.