I Forge Iron

Underage knife selling

Cas037

Depends a huge amount on the COUNTRY YOU ARE IN!  Which of the 100+ countries that participate here are you in?

Have you talked with the local police or prosecuting office?  Selling underage is probably not as big a problem as selling them to underage.  Can a Parental unit actually handle the sale?

Welcome aboard Cas, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have better luck getting meaningful answers to your questions. Iforge has more than 50,000 members in around 150 countries around the world.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks to all the helpful replies I'll see if I can contact some local police or another blacksmith in my area. Also sorry to the people that wasted time telling me how many countries this forum caters for. I thought there would be a generalised rule for most of the world. 

Thanks again

IForgeIron is a blacksmithing and metalworking resource that is visited by over 150 countries of the world.  Each member contributes their knowledge, skill, expertise and opinions to the data base.  We want you to succeed and will provide you with answers and references so you can do just that, succeed at whatever project you choose.

We can not and will not provide legal advice.  A country name or state is all that is needed.  The rules differ from country to country, from state to state in the USA, and then there are county and city rules that apply.  We can tell you where to go to get advice if we know where you are located.   You are not required to provide that information, and we respect that, as it is your choice.  

Cas037

By now, you're well aware that the answer to your first question is "it's complicated".  To get correct answers to your current question, I would recommend that you visit the closest equivalents of a City Hall or chamber of commerce in your area.  It has been my experience that police and tradesmen are seldom experts in business regulations.  

You're clearly trying to do things properly, so I want to encourage you to be thorough, and patient as you sort out whatever regulations apply to you.

Depending on where you live, there may be regulations that make it very difficult to comply with the law.  This arrangement is often intentional, as it serves to block businesses, and business arrangements that have caused problems for the society making the rules.

There's an old saying attributed to G.K. Chesterton that applies here. "Don't ever tear a fence down until you know the reason it was put up."

On 6/3/2020 at 11:26 PM, Cas037 said:

Also sorry to the people that wasted time telling me how many countries this forum caters for. I thought there would be a generalised rule for most of the world. 

There is nothing to be sorry for. Your question is more complex than you originally thought and we needed some clarification to offer a useful reply. This is a normal part of learning how to use the forum. It's almost never a waste of time helping a new member learn to use the forum. The world is much wider and different than a person might think until you've spent some time in a place like Iforge. I'm afraid there are very few generalized rules, words, spellings, heck much of anything applying to the world.

If you're still there, speak up we'll lend what help we can. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, ThomasPowers said:

How you want to be treated may be extremely insulting to them.

Fair enough, I suppose.

But I tend to keep things simple, and I (and most people) want to be treated with respect and kindness.  If someone is insulted by that, then I'm not sure what to say, but I will do my best to limit my interaction with them.

Yes; but what you might consider respectful conduct may not be considered respectful by them.   It's always a dilemma when you mix cultures. (As part of my work history I've spent months and even years in foreign countries ranging from German to Indonesia to Mexico, learning the local culture is a big part of being effective working other places.)

So you do your best and watch out for signs that you have "missed something".

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

what you might consider respectful conduct may not be considered respectful by them

*sigh*  I suppose that's possible.  But I'll err on the side of being kind, honest and respectful the way I was taught.  If you want to take offense, I apologize and expect the same kindness and respect while you correct my faux pas.  If, instead,  you choose to get offended and thus feel like I deserve less in return, then you are not worth my time, I will walk away and do my best to erase you from my memory.  

Things like a direct gaze; generally seen as sincerity in the USA can be interpreted as a challenge or rudeness in other cultures.  Wait till you work with a culture that does not like to say a direct no to people!   Considering that other peoples cultural norms also have Validity is useful in a diverse world.  I have not been offended by *anything* you have written; just considered some of it incomplete. If you are offended; well it just helps prove my point.

150 different countries participating here ... I have seen that quote many times and have to smile every time. This is an American forum visited by 99% American people, All measurements and prices quoted and discussed are in imperial measurements and US dollars, rules and regulations discussed relate to the USA, materials discussed refer to what is available over there, and if someone asks can I as a teenager sell knives, it is rather obvious that the question refers to the US. 

If Cas037 asks me, i would reply. Sorry ... i don't know. Must consult with a legal expert, business accountant or similar person in your local area. Simple and direct. I believe Glenn answered that way.

As for the skewed or direct gaze that may or may not offend. Yep, funny but irrelevant. Law and culture are distinctively different.