I Forge Iron

Dad passed away, what to do with his forge?

Garreck

Good morning.  My dad was a career welder and part time blacksmith.  He passed away this past August and I'm trying to help mom sort through his shop.  As mom is on a fixed income I'd prefer to sell his equipment as opposed to donate.  I'm not unrealistic, I know that this isn't going to amount to much, but for her sake and extra in her bank account helps.  I have no idea where to begin or even really know what a good price is on his equipment.  Again, not looking to make a lot of cash, but I don't want mom to get screwed out of it's reasonably worth.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!  

The forge itself is pretty basic: hand crank bellows etc.  I've heard that his anvil is a respected brand, but can't confirm.  Lots of hand tools, decent sized work bench and 2 vices and ton of steel (not scraps). She's located outside of Buffalo, NY

Thanks!

Garreck

Welcome aboard Garreck, I sincerely wish it were under better circumstances.  My deepest condolences for the loss of your Father, my heart and prayers go out to you, your family and friends.  I think Dick has made as good a suggestion as possible for now.

If you can post pictures we may be able to help evaluate his tools and equipment.

Be safe, be well.

Frosty The Lucky.

Of course, most of us have to go through this and it's never easy. 

Please don't use the @  with people's names, it trips automatic responses with the forum's software without the benefits it has on FB or twitter or whatever. 

Give your Mom a hug for me please. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Garreck,

Your pictures will post easily if you will reduce their size by 50%.

That depends entirely on the starting size of the photo, if its 5 Gig a reduction by half is still too large. the actual size needs to be much smaller so saying 50% is meaningless with out a base reference 

Welcome aboard Garreck. Wish it could be under better circumstances. As has been said we will help you with the value and how to sell his shop. IFI has a Tailgating section that you could list items there, just read the rules before posting. Like Dick said tailgating at a club meeting is probably the best approach.

There are a couple of WNY smiths here, so I'm sure some of them will be able to help you. You could also contact the Rochester Arc + Flame Center; they might have students looking for gear. 

One of the positives of going through the local group is that they will know the going rate for items in that area.  I have attended a number of shop sales that were actually run by a local group and others where items were priced by a group member.   I've told my wife to use the group out here if she has to deal with my shop.

• 4 weeks later...