I Forge Iron

TOOL ALERT Fauty jack stands

SLAG

Folks,

I just noticed this defective tool alert.

It is strongly suggested that all I.F.I.  members be aware of this defective product and its probable recall shortly.

bad link

Regards,

SLAG.

See below

Iron Dragon F. & C.   fixed the above defective link.  Thanks.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

It has always been a requirement to chock the tires, and put jack stands or other holding device under any vehicle that is raised off the ground.  Next push and shake the vehicle hard to see if it is supported so it will not shift or fall.  Then put something such as cribbing or cinder slabs under the wheels, and if your going to be under the vehicle, crib or put blocking under the frame or edge of the vehicle.  All this is to leave a space for you if the vehicle were to fall or tilt.

ramps.jpg  ramp 2.jpg

The pressed sheet metal ramps get the same treatment, chock the tires, push and shake the vehicle, and then cribbing under the frame.  This became the RULE the day one of the ramps holding the wife's minivan twisted and collapsed when the vehicle was pushed sideways.  Both ramps went to the trash as soon as they can out from under the vehicle.  I no longer use this type metal ramp.

ramp3.jpg

Wooden ramps 

Please, please don't use hollow cinder blocks for the cribbing under your raised vehicle.  A friend's father did when I was growing up, the blocks cracked and the vehicle fell on him.  He didn't make it.

I know Glen wasn't advocating using those, I was just leaving a cautionary tale, but honestly I wouldn't use cinder slabs either.

I had a boss who was using an old bumper jack to help drain his vehicle's oil  and was under it when it kicked out.  Dr's bill could have paid for oil changes for life + 25 years!   Cribbing is your friend, Every smith should have a stack of 2x6" and 4x4" pieces to use as needed in their shop.

There is a difference between cinder blocks (made using fly ash and cinders) and concrete blocks using concrete.  If there is ever a question, listen to your gut feelings, or those of your wife.

When using wooden cribbing, go for soft woods over the hard woods.  Use only sound wood that is in good condition.

Always...Always chock all 4 wheels both front and behind when working under any vehicle on stands or not. I worked a case where a young man was replacing the rear u-joint on his jacked up large tired 4X4. It was so high he didn't need to jack it up and was able to sit up bent over under it. When he disconnected the driveshaft the truck rolled back and pinned him in a bent over position. He died of positional asphyxiation.

Boy, those ARE B A D jack stands! I'm used to jack stands you pin at a level. Were they too hard to figure out or something? Every kid in metalshop 1 in jr. high made a set not that many of us had a car. We were going to get us one you betcha and it was going to need work. 

I was present at two instances of idiots dropping cars on themselves. The first one was in the parking lot in High school auto shop and one of the students was doing a lube  oil & filter. He'd carefully parked out of sight or the instructor would've shut him down instantly. He'd lifted his car on two bumper jacks. We heard the shout, then more and rushed outside to see his legs sticking out from under his car. 

A bunch of us grabbed the bumper and picked it up while another guy and I grabbed his legs and pulled him out. We beat the shop teacher to the site or he probably would've removed the guy more gently. Happily we didn't injure him worse except the asphalt rash he got from being dragged backwards across the pavement. We had to drag him full length of his old station wagon to get clear, there wasn't room between the cars. He was pretty badly beaten up, I think a couple cracked ribs and most of his head was black and blue for a week, the purple & greenish yellow old bruise colors lasted quite a while. 

Another time An acquaintance was doing his brakes and packing the bearings and he needed a puller to get the disk off but didn't have one. Soooo, he was sitting with his legs straddling the disk, gave it a really hard jerk so his car just pulled off the jack into his lap. The two or three of us there happened to see it start to tip and we put our shoulders into it and pushed the other way. No injuries at all that time but he peed his pants. 

One of the related stories in the article posted was a perfect example of Coyote justice. The tweaker thief stealing catalytic converters being crushed and suffocated when the jack gave way  was entertaining. Not that I'm glad for any deaths but some don't get much sympathy.

Oh, IDF&C's example just showed up. Don't be a chock for your monster mudder pickup! 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

There is a difference between cinder blocks (made using fly ash and cinders) and concrete blocks using concrete

Glen,  again I'm not questioning your intent, or trying to be overly pedantic.  I know you are being careful to recommend products that are as likely as possible to support heavy weights while working in close proximity.

However, properly termed Concrete Masonry Units (CMU) are colloquially known as both concrete blocks and cinder blocks, even though they are more properly light, medium and heavy weight CMU.  All are made primarily of concrete, though they may have differing amounts of additives like fly ash, bottom ash or cinders to achieve their structure (or lack thereof) and weight target, as well as configuration of the web in the hollow blocks.  To make it even more confusing, ASTM C90, which provides the specification for most of the CMU produced here in the United States, has recently been revised to lower the web thickness of medium/normal weight CMU.  Apparently this has been done in a effort to increase building wall R values for energy conservation.

Most life threatening accident I've had in my 60 years was standing on top of an up-ended pair of hollow CMU doing some overhead welding.  The blocks cracked under me, and at the time I was well under 200#.  Probably light weight or faulty blocks, but I've been leery of them ever since.

Thank you for the corrections. 

Things change with improvements, both to the structural and composition, as well as the company's bottom line expense.  Repurposing from one craft or situation to another can cause problems.  We  must always be aware that things are built to the minimum requirements for that specific use.