I Forge Iron

German spring hammer.

Hi, maybe some additional information with you hammer. The nameplate and the brand name mentioned state in any case that the electric motor was produced in the former East Germany (my parent are married in 1967 near to the company). In my early days in 1988, I myself forged many of fence post with a UHF 50 ("50" witch means the 'Bär' weight) that was properly equipped with this electric motor. Unfortunately, little information can be found about the UHF company in the city of Karl-Marx-Stadt (now Chemnitz) that produced these hammers. Wish you good luck and hope to have been a little helpful. Cheers, Hans

Hi Ben, I'm definitely not  a Sir, just one of many seekers like all of us;). According to many German forging forums that I consult, you will run a beautiful spring hammer that has many similarities with an Ajax-Hammer about which you can find more on the worldwide net (search also for WMW). Here, especially the stroke control and the cold brittleness of the spring package (age) are a controversial item.
In my golden memories, I especially like the jar of beeswax that was necessary to prevent slipping of the flat belt while switching from the neutral disc to the drive disc.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:53 AM, Benona blacksmith said:

Thank you sir for the information!!!

By the way, it is very amusing how an East German spring hammer finds its way to Minnesota :rolleyes:

As a carry on?   Back before enhanced security, they used to weigh the checked baggage but not the carry-ons so heavy stuff tended to travel that way.  My "personal best" was a 90# carry on, a real strain to try to appear that it wasn't that heavy...

Very funny, a spring hammer from Karl-Marx-Stadt in East Germany find his way to Minnesota on your side, and a Columbian Anvil from Ohio stays right now in my Belgium workshop:D. That’s what called globalising. The only nasty thing at the same trail is followed by Covid-19. But XXXX happens vice versa:(.

That would indeed not be a nice discovery of the main flywheel and the brake of the hammer:(. If the broken-out part of the flywheel is still present, you can still rebuild it with cast iron electrodes (stickwelding) or fill it up with cladding. In the worst case, the flywheel must be replaced with a newly turned part. Also pay attention to the brake lining of the hammer, which may be made of asbestos. If you want to spar on the whole issue, skype my or send a PM is happy to be at your service.