I Forge Iron

Hello from Lacey , Washington :)

flufflebun

Hi everyone 

I'm looking foward to learning a new craft and grateful for the opportunity to have access to all the knowledge on this site :) I've always been Interested in black smithing but am just now getting into gear to give it a shot lol way to much free time during quarentien plus it's something I can do with my little brother lol. I have 11 years of experience casting dental prosthetics and have been distilling and making liquors for the last two years. So its def due to time I get back into something that tickles my artistic side a bit . Over the last couple weeks me and my little brother built a small shop , fashioned an anvil , repurposed a few hammers and nippers , ordered a small forge " thank you hells forge" and the last few days we have been giving it a good wack lol. Our first creation was a bit wonky but def a good learning experience with figuring out how the metal moves and how important hammer control is XD.. day 2 we had a bit more confidence and we forged out a knife for my partner out of 1095 "bought this before I found out how finicky it is to harden...." and cleaned it up a lil bit.  it was def a dif beast than mild steel took me a sec to adjust lol this one is on pause till I get my drill press and receive the parks #50 I ordered in the mail. And for our most recent project yesterday a bottle opener lol this was just kinda fun to make with my little brother :)

Thank you again :) 

Evelyn 
here are a few pics of our our progress so far :)

received_274219667070555.jpeg

received_648331572672844.jpeg

received_607890010073153.jpeg

received_634483650741860.jpeg

received_562401114481161.jpeg

also i apologize for wonky picture sizes.... im still figuring out how to resize things .... havnt had to do that since myspace....

Welcome aboard Evelyn, glad to have another ladysmith join the gang!  A distiller too! (oooh)  What kinds of liquors do you make? 

Did you normalize or anneal your blade? As forged stresses can cause problems down the line, the sooner after forging you normalize or anneal the few problems can come up. Well. . . less likely.

Good job on the anvil, did you set too the right height for you and your Brother? It can make a REAL difference in  ease of good results and eventual physical injury. 

It looks like you two are doing pretty well  getting started, please feel free to ask for help, we LOVE helping newcomers become more thoroughly and hopelessly addicted to playing with fire and hitting things with hammers. Maybe get your brother to join the Iforge family, hmmmmm. 

Like puns? Players are ALWAYS welcome you know.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm at salishsea organic liquors in wa and make over 20 flavors :)

I would post a link but if I remember right the rules say I cant do that?

Oh xxxxxxxx no I didnt .. well then lol I'll def research that process :blink:

Also on the anvil I have it so I can lower it for him or a small plat form for him to stand on  I also floored in part of the work space to, so half of it is at his height and half is at mine lol. He is a foot shorter than me and is on the spectrum so saftey was def a concern for me . He is doing an amazing job on the saftey part . He even calls me out when I break a saftey rule at points :lol:

8 hours ago, flufflebun said:

how to resize things

Welcome looks like you and your little brother are off and running. To resize pictures, after you click on the upload to put the picture in the post, double click on the picture, a pop up appears to change the width & height. I use 500 for the width and check the original aspect box and the height is set for ya. (you can also edit the post and do the same thing although the forum limits edit time to 30 min.)

You READ the rules!?:o <GASP!> Steve, Glenn we have a newcomer who read - the - rules!  Hopefully Steve isn't in too bad a state of shock. You're a rare one you are, Darlin. :)

Anybody interested can search out "Salishsea Organic Liquors" for details. My preference is for a dram of the single malt. I've even discovered a modestly priced scotch that's quite good to my palate.  Smooth, slightly sweet, hint of the smoky peat and Mmmmmmm. Malted barley spirits, tipple of the gods. 

Good on you! Keep him as safe as reasonably possible, building good habits young sticks for a lifetime. I'll bet he's darned serious when he calls you on a safety violation isn't he? Good, everybody needs someone watching their back. 

Have you hooked up with the NWBA? It's a great organization and meets regularly, often not too far from you. They rotate meeting places around the state and PNW. Uh . . . I THINK, now I think about I'm not sure anymore. There are members watching the forum I expect someone to say high anytime now. 

One last thing. I'd sure like to know the backstory behind flufflebun. Do your friends call you flufflebun? Lots of my friends call me Frosty. 

Frosty The Lucky.

howdy! i spent most of my life between lacey and olympia, went to north thurston but i lived closer to hawks prarie. how are things up there right now with the pandemic and what not? i havent visited in 3 years. moved down about an hour south of portland some 5 years ago. i miss washington

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

One last thing. I'd sure like to know the backstory behind flufflebun. Do your friends call you flufflebun? Lots of my friends call me Frosty. 

Do you raise rabbits perhaps? And welcome to the forum. You're already posting pictures. That's great. What would you be interested in forging? Anything and everything? Or a certain thing?  Y'all are already being safe. Just remember have fun :D

Edited by CrazyGoatLady
autocorrect

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome, Fluff.

My name is Matthew, I hail from the PNW as well.  Also super new to the community and the craft here. 

@CheechWizard NTHS grad here too. I'm based just south of Portland now, but spend a bunch of time in Lacey and Olympia too.

Good Morning Evelyn,

Welcome, Check out the North West Blacksmith Association, www.blacksmith.org

There are a lot of members in the Puget Sound area. Washington, Oregon, Northern Calif. Idaho, BC and Alberta. Home workshop is at Longview Fairgrounds.

Neil

sup mg! i was supposed to be year of 05 but i dropped out, i hung out at the stoop most or the skateboarders till they all graduated :( then i moved over to the stoners lol. im down here in mcminnville. so even tho its only 30 miles from pdx is still like an hour drive cos old highway 99