I Forge Iron

Buying Tongs

Olorin

Why not flatten the end of the reins, drill two holes in each rein, and bolt another flattened end of metal to the reins as a handle extensions.

Blacksmithing is not about making life difficult, but about making things work.

OK, got home from work early enough I could dig out the blower I used for an air curtain back when I was in a shop with electricity:

airCurtain.jpg.172c9cd3d5c2f945654ad1e9620c9838.jpg

I believe it originally came from a copier. Anyway it mounted below the table the gas forge was on with the rectangular vent a bit in front of the front opening.  It blew hot exhaust gasses up and so kept stock and tongs cooler.  When I moved to a shop without electricity it went on a shelf.

By now you probably have realized that I like cheap methods of accomplishing things often using scrounged materials. What most folks who haven't been to my shop don't realize; is that working on the cheap funds buying stuff that isn't; like my Bader or being able to fork out several thousand for a heap of old smithing stuff and 3 triphammers.

Took a while but found one picture. You can see the blower which is mounted to a manifold and sends air to both ends of the forge which blows the dragons breath up making it cooler to get stock in and out of the forge.

Got a message "Problem uploading the file" several times will try later.

OK I had to resize the picture to get it to upload. You can see the forge in the background with the blower below connected to the manifold under the forge.

20170304_113338-1.thumb.jpg.7af7caa442a4b73401b2bd6876ee2567.jpg

This is looking at the end. The manifold outlet is behind the tool rest one on each opening. That's my wife looking in the forge from the other end.:)

forge1.thumb.jpg.56598d2f9cfe8618a2ee49c201fc0eea.jpg

I think I'll retrofit my forge with one of those.  I like the idea.  Gettin' mighty tired of "smoking" my good welder's gloves. :lol:  The only thing that concerns me is I use two insulated bricks as my "doors".  Not quite sure how I could effectively use the "curtain" and still have the bricks as doors.  Hmmmmm.

You may want to try a heat shield made of metal sheet or light plate.  Put it close to the door and at an angle so any dragon;s breath comes out and is reflected up.  Rest it on the work being heated, and move or rotate it out of the way when you need to. 

The solid fuel folks use such a tool to keep the block the heat from the fire from crawling up the work while it is in the fire.

Thanks, Glenn.  Frosty recommended a piece of angle iron laying on the floor of the forge at the opening.  But it raised the rod I had welded to the billet, so didn't serve the purpose.  I'll figure something out.