I Forge Iron

Wanting to start, came across this on craigslist

Nailsmith

Hello, everyone.

My name is John and I'm from Chattanooga. I'm currently a full-time Electrical Engineer (so make sure to speak slowly and use small words for me haha). My username is a play on my german surname.

I have been thinking about getting into blacksmithing for a while. I currently have no equipment, but came across a listing on craigslist. It is for a 127lb Hay-Budden anvil (claims from 1894), a post vise with a 5" jaw, a homemade forge, and a little bit of coal with miscellaneous tools. He is asking $600, and I just want to make sure I wasn't overpaying. After some research, it looks like Hay-Budden are good anvils, and ones in good condition good for a hefty price. I'm not looking into doing anything professionally, just wanted another hobby (even though the wife thinks I already have too many).

Here are some pictures of the main items from the listing.

Anvil:

00e0e_beBlLDqxlAO_600x450.jpg.7dff945cc6dd7d0a04bbce9a286ffd3b.jpg

Vise:

00P0P_6SpGCD9zs6P_1200x900.jpg.371d4020527126a918747446e0fba747.jpg

Forge:

00C0C_ixMHJuKflYS_600x450.jpg.6845875606cbde1471544dce106250cf.jpg

John, that’s a good deal if the HB has good ring and bearing tests. Is the blacksmith getting out of it, or just culling the heard? You may want to ask if he has any tooling available. Misc tongs, hardy tools, punches, etc. will come in handy. Do you have any other metal working equipment (files, grinders, hammers, etc.) available? Don’t fret, once you have some basics you can build up skills making what you need. That’s half the fun!

David

One problem is that in today's environment a good deal on an anvil often has a half life of hours.  If you have to ask about it it generally will be GONE by the time you get an answer and get back.  So you either have to make expensive guesses; or learn the basics on how to judge if an anvil is a good one; or look for anvils not on the "open market" aka TPAAAT; or go with an improvised anvil.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

Thanks for the info. I might have found a guy ~1hr out that has some equipment for sale. Still trying to schedule a time. I'm also keeping an eye out for some rail track. Haven't spotted any yet.

On another note, this is only about 45 minutes away. This guy claims it's a 100lb Peter Wright. I'm not opposed to buying a more expensive anvil even though I'm just now getting into it. However, I want to make sure if I get it, and decide to get out of the hobby, I can still make most of my money back.

What are some of y'alls thoughts on this one? I don't think it's a good deal, but it's been posted for 2+ months so he probably is willing to haggle.

00B0B_luDuhcXvZ0k_1200x900.thumb.jpg.79e088b74c3e8b43cca1e6c473507ece.jpg

00w0w_3rLlBVzJsie_1200x900.thumb.jpg.6ceb0b124e603cf16a4d0e69b6623cb0.jpg

00c0c_dEW1fAfBpLC_1200x900.thumb.jpg.c6598711ac39f0c52cf87d14a1644521.jpg

01515_f0kiWPyg3sy_1200x900.thumb.jpg.6792ca2d3e4cb2d475b6e6998c270244.jpg

For $800 you could buy a new anvil with a warranty. I think five hundred is still steep. 300-400 in KY. is about top dollar.  It's in great condition. I'd maybe go up a little past 4 but 500 is still pushing it. 

Pnut

I used to live in Clarksville. There's a blacksmithing group that meets around there. I'm sure there's probably one in whatever part of the state you're in. You might find a better deal talking to some blacksmiths. A lot of smiths like helping out new folks. I see you live in Chattanooga. I'm not sure about any groups nearby but I would definitely look into it if I was you. 

Pnut

Hoffmann and other manufacturers have new anvils at that price.  Do some homework and have patience and you'll get a good one at a decent price.  Remember TPAAT.   I recently got a nice 90 pound Fisher for my daughter for $350 because I kept asking everybody about anvils. 

I found another guy getting out of it and selling his lot. He already sold his post vise, but has everything else (tools, small forge, coal, steel, anvil, etc.). Going by in a few hours, will update.

I also found another guy selling a 250lb Peter wright. Asking $1,650 for this one. These guys sure are proud of their anvils.

00a0a_iDwsoXW9WK9_600x450.jpg.cdf60cb5771150f228e2fb7bdc169fd5.jpg

Way too much for the anvil. $6.60 per pound is high. Just because they're asking that much doesn't mean they'll get it but there's probably someone out there that doesn't know better who will pay for it. 

Pnut

With that TV show, price in the “open” market are pretty high. You really need to find the people out there that just want the tools put to good work and are willing to help someone get into blacksmithing. Maybe a bit hard with the current circumstances...

David

I was just searching craigslist for any posting containing anvil.

Just picked up an anvil, stand, 5 hammers, ~10 tongs, a gas forge, a homemade coal forge, some 1080 steel, (4) 5 gal buckets of coal, a small blower with foot control, and some various other things. This guy was 4 hours away. He also threw in a decent dolly that I gave to my brother in law.

The anvil is a 97 lb Columbian.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, Goods said:

You really need to find the people out there that just want the tools put to good work and are willing to help someone get into blacksmithing. Maybe a bit hard with the current circumstances...

You are describing to a "T" the gentleman who sold me my anvil. I drove out to meet him, brought the cash with me and we chatted for a bit. He was asking $600 CAD for a 150 lbs J.B. after I handed him the cash, he counted out a hundred and gave it back to me. 

He told me that he was sick of dealing with antique dealers who were haggling only to turn around and resell it, and once he realized I actually want to learn on the thing he decided to help me out a bit. 

I looked for close to a year before I found an anvil that wasn't in dire need of repair or way beyond my price range. 

Hope I can be in the position to pay it forward one day.

Here's the equipment. 

IMG_20200403_091531.thumb.jpg.63d711fa2f1eca4f9f2c0db4101549f8.jpg

The anvil. The gas forge can be seen in the top right of the photo. It's not very big, but should be big enough for whatever I need to do. It also came with a regulator. The anvil edges are more rounded over on this side than the other side. But the heel still has good edges.

IMG_20200403_091558.thumb.jpg.379c9c4868afd40833937d735aa5c683.jpg

The other side of the anvil. This has decent edges except near the pritchel hole and the table.

IMG_20200403_091618.thumb.jpg.0daa211892cad1dfe682ecb80b8b7cd0.jpg

It rings like crazy. For now, I put a small magnet under the heel and one under the horn (as can be seen in the first photo) and that dampened about 90% of the ring. When I need to use the horn I will just remove the magnet.

My original plan was to make some tongs. Even though it came with some I still want to make my own just for practice. Plus some of these could use a little more work.

Practical Blacksmithing;Volume 1, published in 1889; page 110: "For my own part I am satisfied not only that the sharp edges are useless, but that they are also destructive of good work. I cannot account for their existence except as a relic of a time  when the principles of forging were but little understood. I want both edges of my anvil rounded, not simply for a part of their length, but for their whole length."

Does that make you feel any better?