I Forge Iron

Working on a Small Wrought iron hammer

Justin Topp

The start very small of a wrought iron and steel faced hammer. 8.3 oz as of now. Wagon wheel wrought iron made into a new hammer billet that. I cut it and forge welded it together to get the current shape. It’s amazing how it moves and the self fluxing is awesome. I than took some 1045 stock and cut some hooks into it and hammered it onto the wrought iron. Heated it took the picture and then very lightly fluxed it for the 1045. Took 2 welding heats than a third heat at welding temp to refine the sides and help cleans the seam up. I would say it worked as it looks and sounds like one piece. And when hot the color is even and I no longer see a difference between the iron and steel. Tomorrow I will keep working on it. Will reply with updates as it progresses. 

190E9B67-03DD-4598-8F6E-CD6728743DFA.jpeg

99958AC7-B5F1-4AC6-9ACF-96407D9113E5.jpeg

48762881-A037-432D-BBE8-77F0434E71EC.jpeg

50C91B44-338B-4ED0-938F-0D22CA40DEC0.jpeg

51AC15C7-BE6F-4FC4-B65D-C3B0113FF5E4.jpeg

Thank you! I may or may not have been slightly inspired by the mastermyr find haha. It’s not a exact copy but roughly based on the Viking style. Yes the peen also has a little bit of steel forge welded in. I cut that wedge in half because it was too long. But yea

CF688B0E-C9F5-484B-88F1-4C78873AECC8.jpeg

Thank you very much ! I use small ones fairly often and wanted to try texturing a leaf with a cross peen but did not have any with a small enough edge so this meets that requirement. My smallest hammer is 2oz ball peen that I mostly use for the hammer texture. This is my second smallest. I’ve got a bunch of old WI horse shoes as previously mentioned in separate threads. I like this style of hammer quite a bit and I think I want to make one around the range of 2-2.5lbs. Preferably 2.25 lb 

Awesome looking hammer, well done.

I'm super jealous as a Masterymyr style hammer is top of my list of "projects do to when I finally have enough tools and skills to do it".

I have loads of wrought iron (at least 5 feet of 2inch x 2inch) but haven't dared to try it yet.

I have a little hammer I use for forging pretty frequently. It's about a pound and a half dogshead hammer. It moves metal pretty good I think because of the snow cross section of the face. It's one of my favorite hammers. Don't discount smaller hammers just because they're small.

Pnut

Thank you Jon. These style of hammer also appealed to me so I figured I’d just go and try it. I’m slightly jealous of your wrought iron collection haha. 

pnut im not discounting small hammers because my 2 lb moves metal faster than my 4.75 lb but this 7oz isn’t gonna get a ton of use for most things. Haha. It I had it’s purposes though. 

benona blacksmith you hammer looks great! That’s right about the size of the next one I wanna make