I Forge Iron

Propane forge hookup

zak54

Hi all,

Quick question for those with propane forges. I am wondering what size of cylinder to get for the shop I'm setting up? I'm thinking of getting a 100lb cylinder and mounting it on the outside of the shop wall, and run a line through and to the forge. I just wonder form those with experience how long a 100lb cylinder would last if used maybe 10hrs a week? Also, I have the opportunity to get a 480 lb cylinder from the local LPG supplier that would be refilled on site and also mounted outside the shop. Is this overkill?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.

A general rule with propane cylinders: larger = more liquid and more room for expansion = less freezing up and last longer. Outside temperature has some effect, but the rule still applies. Purchasing LPG from a dealer is cheaper than bringing it somewhere to get filled, refilled on site saves you time , labor and money. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, zak54 said:

Is this overkill?

No it is not. Use the largest tank you have room for and can afford if buying one. We have three tanks 1 20 pound, 1 30 pound and our pig tank which has 115 WC (115 pounds of water) stamped on it that our propane supplier fills on site, usually when we need to fill the 500 gal home tank.

1 hour ago, Les L said:

A general rule with propane cylinders: larger = more liquid and more room for expansion = less freezing up and last longer. Outside temperature has some effect, but the rule still applies. Purchasing LPG from a dealer is cheaper than bringing it somewhere to get filled, refilled on site saves you time , labor and money. 

Sigs ... it used to be the case here too. Now with the "environment" in the way, LPG in 9kg bottles is the cheapest. All the others need to pay rent on the cylinder and subscribe for a monthly refill or exchange regardless of how much you used and the prices are just absurd. You pay more for a refill of a 40 kg bottle per kilo then for a refill of a 9 kg. 

And if you dare to want a large tank to refill by a tanker in bulk ... wow!! ... better sit down. You have to hand over a copy of your mortgage, blood test and ancestry tree explain why and how, rules about location, OHS for the driver who is wrapped in cotton wool and silk gloves etc. 

Prices in Sydney are for 45KG bottles $120 for the gas and $35 rent per year ... 9 KG bottles are $16 for the gas, no rental and you can pick them up at any servo. 

There is a slightly smaller rate for the big cylinder gas if you commit to exchange every month and penalties if you cancel. 

Freezing can be overcome with a manifold and multiple bottles all open at the same time. Keeping the bottle at 45 degree angle with the opening up is another way to increase the exchange surface. 

Is it true that a ribbon burner with a blower uses less gas?

I went from a 20# tank to a 100# and it made a world of difference. No trouble with freezing except once when the weather was weird. I've only had it since November so I can't tell you exactly how long it lasts. I forge usually at least 3 times a week anywhere from about 3 to 6 hours. I thought maybe I was running low and we had it filled about two weeks ago. It was still about 1/4 full. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, zak54 said:

how long a 100lb cylinder would last

That is very much dependent upon how efficient the forge is. One with very good insulation, coated with Kast-O-Lite 30/ Plistix 900f as opposed to a brick pile gas hog forge and a way to close off some of the exhaust will use considerably less propane than a wide open forge. Another factor is how it's used. If it runs wide open all day it will consume a lot of propane as opposed to one that has an idle circuit or the pressure reduced with the regulator/needle valve when not actually heating steel while you are at the anvil.

Thanks to everyone for their responses....the problem I have is that the LPG supplier isn't keen to put in a 480lb cylinder in the event that I will only get it filled "perhaps" once a year. The rent per year is Can$80, and the propane fillup cost is .75c per litre. Still thinking I might be better off geting two 100lb cylinders, and using a manifold to join them. Downside is I'd have to haul them to get them filled.