I Forge Iron

JABOD creation

CtG

I started with a 1/2" masonry bit in my hand drill, then I hand-worked the openings with the corner of a sharp chisel bit- in my case, a rail spike. I used a 12oz ballpein to lightly strike the spike, with the edge canted slightly to only place the corner on the point needing removal. Be careful how you support the brick, and also be alert to how the stress forces may affect the brick. They are super brittle, so exercise patience and caution. You aren't removing chunks at a time, more like grains and chips. If my diesel mechanic hands can do it, so can you! 

In New Jersey in colonial times they used to mix animal hair into the plaster for greater strength.  A local house had some examined to see how much was things like domesticated animals and how much was game animals as an indication of farming and hunting at that place and time.

Well I guess I’ve just got to make some bricks now... 

Irondragon: when you say 2:1 is that by volume or weight?  My father just reminded me this evening that I’ve got 30-40lbs of clay in their garage left over from college, and I’ve still got sand around from other projects. 

Edited by james austin

The way we soften rock hard 25 pound blocks of clay is to put them in a large plastic bag (the bag they come in works if there are no holes) add a cup of clean water then put the bag of clay in a 5 gal bucket. Add water to the top of the block and let it sit for about a week. The outside of the bag water will exert pressure on the water inside the bag evenly and it will penetrate the clay better.

Charles is right about adding a little wood ash. In essence what you are making is fire clay.

The learning! The learning! 

I have 2 buckets of clay-ish dirts, one from the shop and one from a customers excavator undercarriage haha

I did a bit of a wash experiment (3rd bucket with 1/3 "dirt" and 1/3 water) to get the detritus out of it, and am letting it settle now. It came out looking like slick, and my squirrel-cage mixer for my drill acted like a course mesh to isolate pebbles, leaves, and twigs. 

Is it necessary? I have no idea!! However by golly I'm giving it a shot! 

Pretty clear that I'm isolating the clay. No idea if I need to, but today's experiment was certainly worth the go. 

Anywho...

On 1/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, ThomasPowers said:

In New Jersey in colonial times they used to mix animal hair into the plaster for greater strength

When I used to do fire demo/resto I would run into old horsehair plaster and lathe all the time. I hated to demo it. It gets so heavy after the fire department soaks it down. By the end of the day every shovelful would feel like it weighed a ton.  I don't think I could do ten or twelve hours of that anymore, I'd fall over dead.

Pnut

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I dropped the floor and put the tue up higher, flipped my tue brick upside down and gave an inch gap to the bottom. I have the adobe brick (which cracked this run) at the bottom, then 2 layers of hard firebrick for about 4" between the fire and wood. 

I was also given a bag of bituminous coal. 

So tonight, I ran roughly 80/20 charcoal/coal. It worked great! Having the gap beneath the tuyere really did make a difference as well- instead of just having a hot pocket right next to the outlet, I got a hot line across the trench. 

In all of my pictures my fuel is very low, I was playing with the coal/charcoal mix. When I went to test heat some steel I built it up a fair bit higher.

Step at a time!

20200201_171727.jpg

20200201_181807.jpg

20200201_195112.jpg

20200201_194105.jpg

20200201_171727.jpg

Looks good. Did you coke the coal before adding it to the fire? I don't think it would matter for decorative forgings. I'm not certain but blades and tools might be affected by the sulfur if you don't coke the coal first. 

Pnut

I sprinkled it in on either side of the fire, let it smoke off and then shifted it onto the heat. 

So no coking before hand, no. Still learning and practicing. Good point though, a friend who was over and I were commenting on the green-yellow haze right before it would stop smoking, and we both agreed it was likely sulfur compounds burning off. 

Yes you don't put blade steel into the fire until it cleans up and then you just keep adding green coal regularly on top so it's cokes before it makes it's way down to where the steel is at.  I usually do a "non-critical" project while the forge is getting started and doing the initial coking.  Leaving some good coke, AKA Breeze, for the next fire can sped things up as you can skip the start up coking and go directly to the maintenance coking if you have enough Breeze.