I Forge Iron

German triphammer videos

Ran across a couple of interesting German videos showing trip hammer work.

The first is a silent film from 1963 showing a smith and his helper forging a grub hoe, mainly with water-powered trip hammers. There's some great camera work on this one.

The second appears to be the replacement of the anvil block in a belt-driven trip hammer. I don't speak German, so I have no idea what the narrator is saying, but it's an interesting process.

Interesting detail: the base of the log is set on what appears to be wooden cribbing stuffed with manure.

Here’s another from 1979 (apparently from the same series as the second video above) that includes some pretty impressive forge welding on a big air hammer. This appears to be the manufacture of some large industrial blades, and it’s interesting to see the use of steeling at such a recent date. 

Question about the first video...

And it's late so it might just be that my brain has shut off:  At 11:15, the smith uses the flatter but has a small trickle of water on the part as he does so.  Following that, he does similar with a hand hammer, dipping it in the slack bucket to slop a bit of water around but not for hammer cooling purposes.

The only thing I can think of is that he is blowing scale off the part since it is close to being finished--that's the way it is done in the big steel mills but being an ignorant cuss, I've never seen it done that way in hand smithing.

Or is it for other purposes?

At 10:55 he waters down the coal on the forge table to control the fire from spreading.  At 11:27 AND 12:32 are the times you are referring to in the first video.  This is sometimes done to control or blow off the slag on the metal.  It may be used to cool the metal so it can be planished rather than moved.

You see this done a lot in videos of traditional Japanese bladesmiths, and Yes, it’s to blow off the scale. 

I like how the wide-faced triphammer has that water container with a little spigot rigged to deliver a thin stream of water. Cool little detail. 

Water powered hammers often had quite large heavy heads and so while the cycle time was slow the extra weight did a lot per cycle.

When I was in Germany in the '90's one summer I visited several water powered smithies including one where the water power ran air hammers, drop hammers, etc rather than the old "direct drive" hammers---though one still had the originals in their attic.