I Forge Iron

My first forged rounding hammer

Justin Topp

I finally finished my first rounding hammer over the last few days. Biggest issue eat my spring fuller kept breaking and I don’t have big enough tongs to hold it well when I was adding the fullers. So the fullers are sub par. But function over form. This thing works well. I made it to replace a store bought hammer that sucked. It’s 4140 forged by hand. Weighs 4.75lbs. 18” hickory handle charred and coated in boiled linseed oil. A lot of mistakes and flaws And it’s over all ugly but it’s functional so I say it’s a win. 

576957E1-5DF1-4AEE-9A3A-0CCFA7D82F1B.jpeg

9AEE0F6D-292D-43C6-9379-C01E52A3C7B4.jpeg

Good Morning and Merry Hasbeen,

There are no Miss-Steaks, just the School of Hard Knocks giving you a Lesson that you won't/shouldn't forget. The Boy Scout motto is Be Prepared!! Now you know what to Be Prepaired for. When your material is hot and you aren't ready, the heat wins. It just got an Easy Ride!! The Hammer doesn't care if it is perfect, Perspective plays with our Minds.

Neil

Oh wow that’s really close! Mine was from round stock. 2.5” round to be exact. I just squared it up as I like square better. And it’s easier to punch when it’s not rolling around. I thought I’d put the fuller in the middle but nope. Ended up further out and I should’ve put them closer like you said. Thanks. How heavy was yours ?

I have heard of Brian. I’ve seen his videos on rounding hammers. If I’m remembering correct wasn’t he one of the people who made rounding hammers popular among blacksmiths? I still like my straight peen better I just thought rounding can be useful and its easier than straight or cross peen 

They are a pain for sure. I ordered a guillotine Kit from uncle bucks forge but that’s probably not gonna fit hammers. Might fit some because I usually make around 2 lb hammers. Thinner and longer but I plan to machine a guillotine like the one from uncle buck that’s 2.75-3” wide for making hammers of any size I want