I Forge Iron

Looking for movable forge designs

Eric Schatz

Did some searching n here and didn’t find what I needed. Looking for a forge that I can wheel outside my shop. I’m used to working on a fire pot about 10” square.  I’m looking to replicate this.  Do I need a hood for a forge like this?   Should I integrate the hand crank blower into the design? Got any specs n this idea? Thanks Merry Christmas

Also any logistic issues with keeping it outside?

All you need is swivel casters to be able to move things around.  Forge, blower can be one unit or two depending on the units.  Anvil needs 2 wheels and set up like a wheel borrow so when you tilt the stump it puts the wheels on the ground.

A hood is nice to remove the smoke from the work area if smoke is a problem.  Try it without the hood to see. 

Wheeling on soft ground or on a paved surface? 

A lot of folks find the "conveyance" first and then build the forge into it. 

Hood: how much an issue is wind where you are at?

For my propane forge I took a propane gas grill and junked the grill and bolted a sheet of steel where it used to be and mounted the forge on that.  Over the years I have added cross bracing and enhanced wheels to it.

My portable coal forge is not wheeled as it's  portability generally is by car/truck and so having the legs come off makes it easier to transport.

It does get quite chilly in the winters.  Could I use an exhaust fan to route the smoke through a hole cut in a garage door? Maybe a harbor freight blower? Anyone try something like this? I feel like a hood with a cap on the top for a chimney when I’m outside and a dryer vent with a blower pushing the smoke through an alternative hole for indoor forging. 

Got any windows in the garage?  You might want to take a look at some of the examples of side sucking hoods that go out walls and then go up.  I'm against roof penetrations if I can get around it!  In my shop I just ran some 10" spiral seemed ductwork out the hole in the wall that was for a wood stove chimney when my wall was a friend's roof---pre hailstorm. It's a 10' long piece and it's at a steep angle and works fine for my uses with a bit of sheet metal around the bottom to cup the fire area---or can be slid up if I need to stick larger pieces through the fire.

Basically my shop is a full wood shop with industrial tools.  I have allocated a 5x10 space I front of the roll up door for blacksmithing. I fit a welder, sander, swedge, anvil, gas forge, and post vice in that area pretty comfortably.  I need a coal forge that I can cram in there and wheel out or leave outside for most of the year. No window nearby but I could cut a hold in the garage door to vent out. Just need a way to push the exhaust out and would like to avoid a 10” hole in the garage. Might just be best to leave it outside year round.  

Filling the room with smoke and then trying to push an entire room of smokey air out a window or hole in a door will not work. You will need to address any smoke directly. 

Outside forge locations will benefit by a cover of some nature, tarp, shed roof, etc.  Just be sure and clean op and out any ash as it will draw moisture, turn acid, and corrode anything metal.

Nice; I like the wheels mounted inboard a bit to help balance the weight better and the vise co-mounted with one of the uprights. (Looks to be on the smaller end of vises too; so easier to move.)  Large wheels so it deals better with uneven ground.

Looks like you spent some time figuring it out before putting it together!