I Forge Iron

Need help identify an anvil

Hey I’m looking at purchasing  a anvils and need advice I’m a veteran 30 years union pipefitter X-ray welder mig rig stick but no experience as at blacksmithing so I’m 55 and want an anvils for my home shop to learn so when I retire I’ll be efficient in rlten

years lol I’m looking on the internet and other dealers blacksmithing at110 to 165 pounders Kanca, Carroll,Emerson,N.C.,tifs,and jhm around 600$ then I saw a nice looking older Isaac Nash on a stump in same price range so what’s my best option 

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest this thread to get the best out of the forum. It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location. READ THIS FIRST

I would have to look at and test the ring & rebound on the Nash. Depending upon the weight, location and passing those tests it would be my choice.

Many old anvils were made from multiple pieces and the forge welds can fail. Usually you will see delaminating faces, but heels and horns have been broken off. Modern cast anvils are good quality. One of mine is a 125# JHM Journeyman that I got from a retired farrier. Nice anvil, that I would recommend without hesitation.

A list of modern anvils was just started, go check it out along with the improvised anvil thread. For beginners I would lean towards an improvised, as they can be picked up for free or just a few dollars.

Note that many cast iron anvils are not using quality; the ones made from cast ductile iron are much superior to plain cast iron ones and the cast steel anvils are generally superior to cast ductile iron.  KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING!

Even top brand old forged anvils can have lost their temper in a structure fire and so not be as hard as they should be---look up the Ball Bearing test to test for that!

Don't do anything to it. It looks great. Wipe it down with a rag with some light oil on it if you can't help but do something to it. The surface is good. 

Price depends on where you're at. Some places $2.50lb other places $5 or $6 a pound. Here in northern Kentucky between $3-$4 per pound. That's why we suggest putting your general location in your profile as so many answers are location dependent.  Just a general idea of where you are is all such as Northern Kentucky. 

Pnut

Value depends on location, condition, weight and what someone is willing to pay for it. Have you done a ring and rebound test on it? 

It looks to be in perfectly usable condition. So maybe a light wire wheeling and a light coat of oil. 

I do remodeling work an got this off a job I done don’t know anything about blacksmith work just seen on eBay what some of anvils priced for it’s been setting at back door inside house wife not to happy 

Be sure you don't confuse the "Buy it now" price with the actual selling price.  A lot of folks get confused by "asking" vs selling prices too---when was the last time you paid the "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" for a car?

Anyway in Va and in that condition, given it passes the ring and ball bearing test, I'd ask US$4 a pound.  Maybe $5 as it's a handy size for a travel anvil---its a bit small for a shop anvil at 86#.

(And even at those prices I'd advise new smiths to look for improvised anvils to get started on.)