I Forge Iron

Starting blacksmithing/bladesmithing

Matthew H

Be careful hitting cold metal on your anvil. I don't think I would use it for anything but hot work. I'm sure  working cold metal on a new anvil would void any warranty it might have. 

8 hours ago, Matthew H said:

do you recommend the diamondback forges?

Nothing wrong with more than one forge but didn't you say you have a three burner devil forge? Use insulating firebrick to block off part of the interior and only use as many burner's as needed. Spending another five hundred dollars this early on is kinda crazy after buying a three burner forge.  Build a simple jabod forge if you want a smaller fire. 

Pnut

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright I’m at school, don’t have much time to respond. I can get any forge under 350 for free, because my parents are Christmas shopping (early). Just wanted to know if I should of changed my mind because I’ve heard devil forge doesn’t last as long as the diamond back forge. Thanks for your question i needed to clarify and fix my mistakes sorry.

thanks 

-Matthew H

All gas forges should be considered "consumables" in the smithy.  Some just last longer than others...I've lost track of how many times I have relined my primary gas forge, it's about 20 years old now. I would compare how easy it was to reline various forges.  Mine uses stock kaowool and plistix, etc and the shape makes it easy to reline.

Having an anvil in a welding shop is rather an invitation for abuse. I'd source a big hunk of scrap steel for that.  (My 410# Trenton was seriously abused by a mine maintenance shop, including air arc gouges across the otherwise beautifully flat, smooth face. Trucked it 150 miles to an anvil repair day and had a pro rebuild the face using the Gunther/Schuler method.

Matthew, I agree with Tomas on having an anvil in a welding shop. I've been a professional welder/fabricator for 45 years and have never used an anvil during that work, and I have bent, grinded and beat on a lot of metal. My anvils are used only for blacksmith work. One of my anvils has edge damage in several places where someone used it to place metal they were cutting with a torch and cut into the anvil. Unfortunately they didn't learn the first time and had to continue trying to figure out how the anvil was being damaged. Build a metal table for your welding work and keep your anvil in good shape.

Thanks will do, I’m free to talk for one more hour. What do you teach Thomas?

Is this a good deal or a rip off? It says forged steel which is the highest quality, but I’m wondering what it would look like if you stripped off the paint with a wire brush...

image.png

I don't charge and I can only teach what I know.  If you are interested in that facet specifically; I would suggest you look over the American Bladesmiths Society's School in Texarkana.  I have one of my students just finished a 2 week course there and told me that learning the basics of smithing before he took the class was a big help!

5 hours ago, Matthew H said:

I can get any forge under 350 for free, because my parents are Christmas shopping (early)

The diamondback single burner knife forge is just over $350. The two burner forge is the one I've been considering and it costs $440. Devil forges aren't ready to go out of the box. Look up some reviews in the gas forge section they've both been discussed pretty thoroughly. 

Pnut

That is the series one forge. On the diamondback forge website they are selling series three forges. I checked the prices before I posted them. The series three catalog was the first result when I just looked again. I believe you are looking at an out of date page. They may still have the series one forges for sale. Send them an email or call and find out. The difference seems to be how they are lined. The new series uses ceramic fiberboard instead of ceramic blanket.

Pnut

Pnut

No you don't need to apply rigidizer to the fiberboard.  To be honest I haven't used a gas forge enough to say which is better. Fiberboard would be easier to reline the forge when the time comes. You need to also apply a castable refractory to the blanket because it's fragile. The fiberboard would benefit from a layer of castable refractory also but I don't think it's as important because it's not as fragile as the blanket but it is fragile. You need to put a coat of plistix on it though. You also have to use plistix or something similar on the blanket after it's rigidized and the castable is applied. The closest to ready to use out of the box is the Diamondback forge with the fiberboard lining. 

Pnut

Matthew: Posting links and pages from Ebay or other commercial sites is against Iforge rules and will get you spoken to. It's okay to say go to "Uncle Bob's anvils" site, just not the link. Admin has a full time chore keeping spammers and malware like phishers off the site without having commercial sites posted every time someone wants to ask a question.

Don't sweat it, there's a learning curve and we all make mistakes just don't make a habit of it. Okay?

And another rule is not discussing: religion, politics, or name calling, etc. Asking what someone else's faith or church is is about as close to the line as you want to come and not often. If you really want to  know or discuss one of the "forbidden" topics PM the other person. 

We attend ""Good Shepherd, Lutheran."

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, you signed a statement saying you'd read and understood the rules to subscribe to the forum. No, screen shots of commercial sites probably isn't okay either though I admit I'm not Admin and didn't read the rules when I signed up either. 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

No, screen shots of commercial sites probably isn't okay either though I admit I'm not Admin and didn't read the rules when I signed up either. 

Screen shots are generally okay; it's live links that are the issue. If you need an image to illustrate what you're asking or trying to convey, go for it.

Another option would be to copy the image from the site and paste it into a comment, like:

Hey, I saw this great looking double-horn anvil on the website for Holland Anvils. Anyone here used one?

260lb Double Horn