Whiskytrekker

Interesting Tongs, I think

Had these for a while but never seen another pair similar.  They hold, but mark, rail spikes very well.   Anyone else have a similar set?

Thanks as always, 

Whisky

20191007_171557.jpg

20191007_171606.jpg

20191007_171602.jpg

Yah, would think they wouldn't have been made for hot work with those teeth, no idea what it's for.  The nail clinchers I had had one flat jaw with teeth and one that curved up in a "C".

The gap in the jaws is better than a half inch.  Can't grab a nail or horseshoe with them unless you are completely flush, and at that they are not stable.   Like I said, they hold a spike well, though. 

I agree a nail clinch for a farrier. The rounded part pulls the nail down tight and clinches it. 

The nail to be grabbed is sticking out of the horses hoof, the flat jaw goes under the hoof the rounded jaw is to reach up and pull the protruding nail tip down. They fit right well!

A perhaps more common variant has a flat jaw and a curved up jaw---we always called them alligators. I've forged several of this type into plain tongs. The deep serrations can be removed or left according to your preferences.

Yup definetly clinchers.   Charles I still use clinchers over a clinch block and hammer unless I feel like using the extra time. I set the nail over with pull offs but then nip the nails, clean under nail shank with rasp, 1/2moon, then pull the clinches into position and rasp over. to smooth and finish. 

As do I, that and setting the nail tip directly in the hoof/laima interface and aiming for my ring finger with a slim shank nail makes for a very tight shoe, I have seen them go 8-12 weeks ($20 neglect fee for that) and fence pawwers bend branches. 

Like any trade, the devil is in the detailes.