I Forge Iron

How do I make a very efficient gas forge?

Justin Topp

I’m looking to eventually build a propane forge to go along with my coal forge and I’m looking to make it as efficient as possible. I’m looking to be able to forge weld if I need to but mostly normal forging. Unless there is something better I plan on a forced air ribbon burner 

Some Things I want to know is best shape, insulation, ect  

any and all tips are appreciated. 

-Justin 

I recently completed a ribbon burner forge based on the Wayne Coe design and bought the build supplies from Wayne. My forge is very efficient. I have a 0-30 high pressure regulator and I'm forging at less than 2 psi. In fact, once the forged gets up to temperature, I can turn the gas off at the regulator, crack it open again just enough for the forge to re-light itself and just keep the flow there. I don't know what the psi is at that point because this gauge doesn't register, but I'm guessing I'm at or below 1 psi.

I've used the forge about a dozen times so far and have barely used any propane. 

20190915_121241.jpg

20190921_191449.jpg

HP500 wow that forge is perfect thanks! I’m assuming you can forge weld in it based on the low pressure and how hot it is. Is that a bouncy castle blower? I bought a orange one and I have yet to use it for anything because it is way too strong for my coal forge. 

Yup, that is a bounce house blower. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but I found it at a garage sale for $5 so I gave it a shot. It seems to work well.

This is my first gas forge, so I'm still learning how to use it. I haven't tried forge welding yet, but I hope to in the next week or so. When I played around with the gas pressure and air flow settings while testing, I was able to get a piece of angle iron to start to melt, so I should be ok.

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm always amused by people who tell me that gas forges don't get as hot as coal forges.

What they're actually saying is THEIR gas forge isn't as hot as a coal forge. Give them a bit and they'll tell you they don't know how to weld in a gasser either. I sometimes wish this nonsense still amused me Thomas. Maybe it's the TBI? 

Frosty The Lucky.

It's common for people to assume that everyone else are just like them---living in the same country, speaking the same language, using the same money, having the exact same equipment, or that your equipment must work just the same as their's etc. It's enough to make me  twist my tentacles sometimes!

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm always amused by people who tell me that gas forges don't get as hot as coal forges. I know of at least half a dozen folks who have accidentally melted steel in their gas forge, how much hotter does it need to get? (Forge welding is a Solid Phase Weld after all...)

I know they can get just as hot I just wanna make sure the one I build is able to weld in :) 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, GuardedDig2 said:

I know they can get just as hot I just wanna make sure the one I build is able to weld in :) 

Have you decided on a design yet? If not, take a good look at Wayne Coe's build information.